Filter for 20 gallon Long

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All,
So I did some rearranging yesterday and moved my 55 gallon to a different room. I have the 55 gallon on a stand with my 20 gallon long below it on the same stand. Both tanks have cleared up nicely and the fish seem to be doing well. So far I love having both tanks in one central location!

I'm in a bit of a predicament figuring out how to filter the bottom tank over the long term. The 55 gallon is being filtered using two eheim canisters combined with an undergravel filter. Because I'm not using any HOB filters, I put the tank pretty close to the wall (there's about 2 inches of clearance).

Because of this, I'm not sure how to filter the bottom tank. Right now I'm filtering it with two corner filters which seem to be doing okay... but I'd like something more substantial. I can't use a HOB because the tank is too close to the wall. I can't use a canister because the tank is too low to the group and the pump would have trouble working properly.

Any ideas? Maybe some kind of internal filter? This one really has me stumped

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any chance you could just move the tank a few inches to free up some space for a HOB filter?? If you aren't using HOB or canister then the only other option that I can think of would be an internal filter. From what I have found on Google, the Tetra Whisper line seams to do a pretty good job but at this point your guess is as good as mine. I'm not sure if the "rule" that you need to cycle the volume of the tank 8-10x per hour still holds true. The 40i version of the Whisper does 170 gph which could work.

badrad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
On all my double-stacks I set my HOB filters on ends rather than the back of the tank. It makes for easier cleanup and access, but also i find it provides a nicer cross-tank flow. Also, the tanks are within inches of the wall.

However all these tanks are either lid-less or just custom cut glass or plexiglass covers.

fishnewbie33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I plan on using the Fluval U3 for my 20L tank...

Haven't tried it yet, but the reviews are good.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will have to look into the whisper internal filter, that might be an option. I also have to consider the idea of side-mounting a HOB filter. It could work! I'd have to do a diy-plexiglass hood and reconfigure the lighting but it might be worth it. I will also check out that fluval filter, thanks for sharing!

Also, is it POSSIBLE to use a canister? Will the flow just not be optimal? In other words, can I do it without burning the motor out? I'm not really familiar with why the manufacturer recommends placing the canister below the tank in the first place.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I've read and researched, the biggest problem with a canister filter at the same level as the tank is priming. Without the helping gravity it's harder to get it primed... but beyond that I really can't foresee much of a problem. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yea i have a canister filter above my goldfish holding tank. Took FOREVER to prime it. A lot of sucking on a hose and when you dont cover the hose all the water in it goes right back into the tank -.-

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I think that would be the only issue. But other than that it works well without any issues?

If you don't mind me asking more questions, what brand is it? How long have you had it? Thanks

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're going to do that, I would try to get it primed and going under the water level (if possible). The only issue I could see with running the canister above the water is that the pump would be working harder than usual. On the intake, gravity normally helps get it in and then the pump pushes it out. Now the pump has to draw in the water (not what pumps are made for) and also push it out. That's my understanding of the subject from what I've researched.

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my 2 cents:

I have used a Fluval U2 internal filter. It's bulky and black. So it takes up a significant amount of room and if your background isn't black, it may stick out quite a bit. It did come with an ok amount of room to put in some additional media. I used sponges and a mesh bag of seachem matrix. I also liked the spray bar and venturi systems. Just make sure you clean this weekly cause it gets messy.

What do you mean by corner filters? Sponge filters? Depending on your bioload, and sponges, the sponges could be enough.

I'm not a pro with canisters, however there are a couple mounted mini-canisters I have found. The most preferred one is the Finnex px-360. I might not use this by itself but it's a canister that gives you a lot of room for media and has ok flow. I just got one, not setup yet, but have read numerous positive reviews and one of the members has one and loves it. If I remember his name I'll let you know, if you choose this approach.

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Eheim ecco 2213 i think.. one with the 3 in the number been running it above water level for a year. I use it for the pond when its warm and right now its with the indoor pond tank. Both uses.. it is above the water level. Havent had any issues yet. Yet being the key word. I DID also get one of those internal Fluval filters as well for christmas and i run that along with the Eheim filter.

I mean if the motor on the Eheim does die out i wouksnt mind geyting a new one. Honestly this filter is super old. Been floating around the schools aquatic science program for years and still runs strong.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VWTDI02, that was the same information I have been coming up with from all over the web. But technically, if I use an eheim classic, the intake will still be below the water level because the intake on eheims is on the bottom. So that *might* not be as bad (at least in theory).

mjbxc06, Yeah, honestly I will only resort to an internal filter if I'm totally out of options. They take up tank space and look kind of cluttered to me. I was looking at the Fluval U3 today, looks pretty neat. Almost like a HOB! And by corner filters, I mean just that-- corner filters. We used them a lot back in the 90's before sponge filters were all the rage.

I did also see one of those mini canisters at my LPS last weekend... It was on display for use on a turtle tank but I'm sure I could use it on a fish tank and it would probably work okay. To be honest, I'm kind of an eheim snob. I love their filters, they are quality-made products and it shows. They just keep on pumping and pumping no matter what! So if I can come up with an excuse to buy another eheim instead of another brand, I will try my hardest. Lol

Thanks for all the advice!!

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Makena95'GT,
Aha, it makes me happy to hear you say it's an eheim! I feel like I'd have a pretty tough time killing one of mine, but I wasn't totally ready to try it out and risk having to replace a whole canister. It makes me feel a little better than you've been successful running one above water level. Thanks for taking the time to share

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, an Eheim snob. you only call yourself that cause they cost a lot of money. I have heard nothing but good things about them and will most likely get one some day. How do you like those corner filters? I have seen them but never thought about them much. I can see some pros and cons with them.

love your blood parrots btw

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol, it's true! They do cost a buttload of money. But it's so very worth it in the long run! My grandfather kept fish for over thirty years. He had an eheim that he bought in 2001 and it still ran when we tore down his last tank about a year ago! They are workhorses.

I love my corner filters! They work great for quarantine, breeding tanks, or even just as a supplemental filter. I like them better than sponge filters because I can fill them with cycled biological media from another tank and have an instant cycle without having to let the sponge filter cycle in another tank for a few weeks. The only issue is they can be a bit noisy depending on the model you buy. I personally like these big round ones, they hold a ton of media! https://jehmco.com/html/box_filters.html

The only reason I don't want to use them permanently in this tank is because I'd eventually like to turn it into a planted show tank. Otherwise I'd just stick with them!

EDIT: And thank you! They're such dorks sometimes. They just love to come beg for food at the front of the tank. And believe it or not, my family swears they only beg when I come up to the tank. They really do know the hand that feeds them! Haha

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually JUST picked up a 55 gallon.. amd it came with THREE eheim canister filters. For $80. Score one for me? These things are beast. If my main one does die.. i have two extras for parts now. Woot

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Makena95'GT said:
I actually JUST picked up a 55 gallon.. amd it came with THREE eheim canister filters. For $80. Score one for me? These things are beast. If my main one does die.. i have two extras for parts now. Woot
So as the generous and nice human being that you are, you'll be sending one of those my way, right?

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i wish with 5 goldfish and a growing Koi inside a 55 for the winter i need all the filtration i can get i have filtration for a 100 gallon tank on the 10 gallon theyve been in.. still cant handle how nasty they are. So i got the 55. With a stand and 3 boxes of goodies. For dirt cheap. Then in the summer i can make it my dream tank

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Makena95'GT said:
Wow, what a steal! With all those goldies you'll definitely have a use for them! Lol

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh another filter i used was a HOB on a 20 long. I had it on one side rather than the back. It was one rated for 50 gallons. For a turtle. The internal filter could also kinda work like a canister if you tinker with it. Add hose to the input and output and maybe see what that does out of the water. Ive never tried but it seems like an idea

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom