Filter Flow Too Strong

1. D

Don don Valued Member Member

Hi everyone. I hope I am writing this in the right place as I am still new here. Anyway...lol I am sitting up a 240l tank at the minute. I have a sand bottom and has plants. My water is really cloudy still and I was hoping it would settle. I have been using a 1300 filter as I got told this is the most suited as I will be keeping 3 fancies in it once it has cycled. The filter seems to give as very strong current and it's making some sand rise around the tank. Also it seems too strong for my plants so the fish probably has no chance in it once I get them. Anything I can do about this rather than change filters? I have spent a small fortune so would rather not spend on another filter of I can help it. Thank you guys.

Here is a pic of it last night. It does have more plants in it now

Attached Files:

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

What type of filter is it? I can't help until i know what Im working with.

3. OP
    OP
    D

It's a betta internal filter 1300 it's what my lfs recommended for my tank

4. aussieJJDude

Ok. For that type of filter I would personally add a long spray bar to it to hekp diffuse the flow across the entire tank.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Here is a top view and the box of the filter if that helps. As you can tell my plants are getting battered about :(

Can you just buy them or do you have to make one? I'm no good with making things haha I appreciate your help! Thank you

Attached Files:

6. aussieJJDude

Yeah, IMO a spraybar attachment (or two, especially with big holes) will work well and diffuse the flow

Edit: you can buy them, or you can make it out of PVC and drill some holes. Really depends on your budget and what you want to acheive.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you. I will have a look and see what I can find. I never thought upgrading tanks would be so stressful lol

Do I just keep it running till then and hope for the best? I'm not moving my blackmoor into it anyway until it's fully cycled of course so it will be just my plants for a good while.

8. aussieJJDude

Up to you... i personally would, but if you prefer to have it off thats also fine.

9. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you so much for your help!

10. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

The picture of the filter looks like it swivels. Are you able to direct the water flow towards the side of the tank until you can buy or make another solution? That would go ahead and spread the water current and still continue to keep flow through the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    D

I never thought of that lol

I went to numerous lfs's today and not one of them sold spray bars! One did say though if I put a clean unused shower puff over the filter this works great. I am so sorry to bother you guys again but is this safe for the fish when they finally got in? It is working and it seems to be hepping my water too but obviously I won't keep it in if it hurts the fishes once they go in!

My water does seem clearer now

Attached Files:

12. aussieJJDude

Its fine to use. Many use them for their filters. As long is it hasn't been used previously, it be fine.

13. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you. My water is crystal clear at least now. I was speaking to the aquatics centre today about my tank cycling. He thinks with everything I've done it can add fish now but I'm not comfortable with that so it's just a waiting game lol thank you for all of your help!!