Filter Flow Rate? Question

1. emanluke Member Member

Hey everybody, good news! I finally got my 10 gallon cycled, and I just moved my guppy and shrimp. :;hf

My only problem now is that the TopFin Filter that came with my tank doesn't have an adjustable flow rate. I'm worried that it is too fast currently, and that it will wear out my guppy. ??? I really don't have the funds to buy a new filter, but I can try and ask for one for Christmas if y'all think I really need it.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what is the flow rate?

3. emanluke Member Member

4. thorpbrian Member Member

Assuming it's the Top Fin PF 10 that comes with the Top Fin 10 gal starter kit then the flow rate is 50 gph.

This is adequate for your 10 gal. Most people like to overfilter to keep their tanks pristine.

If your concerned about the filter sucking up your shrimp then I'd suggest getting a nylon mesh bag (or unused panty hose) and tying it around the filter intake to keep it from sucking in your shrimp.

5. emanluke Member Member

Ok, thanks. I got the 80 GPH from Petsmart's product page for it. I was just worried because when my guppy swims up close to where the water comes out, he get's pushed around. :;thx for the help though!

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

my guppies love that, they do it on purpose

7. emanluke Member Member

Oh, okay! Sorry, I've had him in a tank too small for him, so I guess I'm not really sure what "normal" guppy behavior is :animal0028:

Thanks so much for the help! If y'all have any other behaviors you think I might start seeing, please share them. I'm going to be picking him out some friends, more guppies, before too long. (well, my suitemates have decided they're going to be picking them out :;laughing)

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:) Gups are really fun, sweet, lively, and personable fish (especially at feeding time :p). 2-3 males should get along great together. My males swim around with each other like the best of buddies. More males than that and it can get aggressive. If you add females, you will have babies (20-40 at a time). If you add females, you must have at least 2-3 fems. per male because the males are too amorous.

Glad you upgraded your little dude! :D

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i would go with males only, agree with ilovengl. You'll end up with tons of guppies if you have females, even if you have only females, as they can come from the store with sperm stored in them.

10. emanluke Member Member

Yeah, I've had a couple discussion on other threads about stocking. I think I've decided on four males and then, after the tank has had time to really set-up (probably at least a couple months), I plan to get a small school of three otos.

I am loving watching him swim around his big new home!

11. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Sounds wonderful! :)