Filter Flow Problem

1. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

I am a beginner and I nave recently purchased a ten gallon tank. I set it up and let it run for about 48 hrs. I went to my nearest fish store (not PetCo to PetSmart) and they helped me. I now have purchased three danios, two black skirt tetras, and one neon orange crawfish. I only brought home the danios. The helpers there said I had to "cycle" the tank. (I don't really know what that means) Now I have three danios in my tank. They are getting pushed around by my filter. It is an Aqueoun QuietFlow 10. Any suggestions on how to slow down my filter flow rate?

P.S. Do you think this is appropriate for a starter?

3 danios

two black skirt tetras

one neon orange dwarf crawfish

2. Aquarium Newb Member Member

First off, to cycle the tank is pretty much getting bacteria like ammonia nitrates and nitrites in your tank so you can get bacteria that eats those things in your filter media. Don't be surprised if some danio die, most people do fishless with pure ammonia and tetra safe start. However with the stocking I'm afraid I cant help. I don't know any of these fish very well, however for a general basis you can use aq advisor. Just dont trust it intensely, it gives a good approximation though.

Oh yeah, and I don't think they should be being pushed by the filter, how high is your tank water? And do you have a water test kit (tests ph ammonia nitrates nitrites gh and kh)? Api master test kit is the best imo you could try putting something in front of where the water comes out, I don't know about that filter much, ill do some research though in the meantime hopefully someone else can help.

3. No Fishing Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would definitely get familiar with the nitrogen cycle. There is a page on this forum that explains the process. Also I would recommend getting an API freshwater testing kit.

The filter current shouldnt be too strong although you should have your water a little above the black trim. Fish are used to current and they like to swim in it.

4. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

I do not have a test kit . I have now read up on the nitrogen cycle. I am now afraid my danios will die! I put a bacteria starter in the tank before a put the fish in. Would that help with my fish not dying?

5. Aquarium Newb Member Member

I would definitely recommend a test kit, however some people don't use them. Adding the bacteria depends, if it was a pure ammonia supplement then it will only make it worse, if it was something designed to put good bacteria into the tank to speed up the cycle then it should help I think. However I you may get lucky and not have any fish die, I know when I got my first aquarium I didn't know about the cycle until a good month after my gish were in, and I still have them 8 months later.

6. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

One danio just died :'( Some one help me save my two left! They are not moving much and towards the bottom of the tank. That filter is so strong!

7. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You can baffle the filter if you need to, look up on google on how to.
    What brand bacteria starter did you use?

8. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

From what I've read up on that particular bacteria starter you have to keep using it and it can cause mini cycles if you don't. I would highly recommend stability for a bacteria starter, you use for seven days then stop. You can also do water changes, which I would recommend doing one.

You can also use a decholornator like Prime with Stability as this will makes things easier on the fish while the tank cycles.

10. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

I own both stability and prime I forgot to mention that I also gave a dose of stability to the tank Should I use the prime as well?

11. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Prime should be used with every water change, it will makes things easier on the fish. I believe it will detoxify ammonia/nitrite which you probably have since you haven't cycled yet.

Just use the instructions on the stability bottle to cycle it. I would stop using the top fin bio boost and just use stability then.

12. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

O.K. Thanks!

13. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Check out the water bottle method and see if it would work for your filter type!