filter flow diffuser...

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI guys!

as many of you may know, I am starting up a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank. I have decided that I will have to modify my filter a bit...

first of all, sticking a sponge on the intake, and secondly, diffusing the flow...

I have seen Ted's stickied thread about this topic, and that seems the way to go! I was wondering about using leftover heater suction cups to hold a pvc pipe in place and making the top open, so the water can flow in there. The end will be submerged in water, so that there is very little ''waterfall effect''.

Is there a problem with this? does it need more thinking through? I want to keep it simple, but make it look tidy...

thanks in advance!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Yallyall,

With no surface water movement an air stone/supply line should be in the tank for oxygen..

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Ken mentioned above oxygen will be the issue. Other than increasing the tank size to like a 5gal and planted really well that will create enough Oxygen in the water.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you do the PVC or soda bottle to change the direction of the out flow, you can still keep that above the water and give to small waterfalls on either side of the out flow. This is how I have both of my tanks, the flow is very small, the current created is very small. The noise is reduced by about 75% and I find its perfect for me.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys!

I had planned on having an airstone in there anyway

I think I will do what kupcake said...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads