Filter Flow All Of A Sudden Increased

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Fishandturtles, Apr 23, 2018.

1. FishandturtlesNew MemberMember

So I'm away from my tank as of the moment. I'm at college and have my parents taking care of my tank.

Here's the problem:

I have zip tied a mesh bag around my filters intake tube, this acted as a prefilter. From the pictures and updates I've been receiving from my dad on my tank -the bag was getting pretty brown so I called and asked my parents to take the head of the input off and rinse the bag in the sink (I'll attach an image to show what I'm talking about).

I told them to follow standard procedure. Unplug the filter, close the valves (I have a cascade cannaiter filter), and proceed. They were having trouble removing the intake head, so I told them to just forget about it. I'll take care of it when I get back.

Problem is once they had the filter running again, the current has all of a sudden become super powerful and it's making my plants go in circles and my fish are afraid to come out. This has never happened before. I'm suspecting they may have raised the intake bar and it's causing a strong current. Or maybe the part they tried to remove is loose? As a quick fix I told the to turn the output a little so the flow is not as strong, but I really don't want to do that, considering I have always left it all the way open and there was no problem.

The tank is a 40 gallon long, heavily planted with water wisteria, hornwort, duckweed, and Marimo moss balls. The tank holds mollies, neon tetras, ghost shrimp, and a baby red ear slider (it's his tank, I added all the other inhabitants after - he hasn't bothered the fish and is too slow to catch the shrimp tho). All parameters are met, the waters are tested once a week. And a big ole bag of purigen is keeping the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at a safe level.

Will my quick fix be okay for the mean time? What could've been causing this? And I also tried asking my parents to re-prime the filter to see if that helps, no dice - still super heavy flow.

Attached Files:

2. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

3. FishandturtlesNew MemberMember

They never ended up taking the bag off. Nothing was really moved, I'm at a lost here.

4. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

I can see in the pic, there are strips where the bag used to be positioned, just moving the bag to a clean spot will open up flow.

5. FishandturtlesNew MemberMember

I'm trying to decrease flow. The current is too strong! And it never used to be, not sure why a sudden increase in flow and current.

6. FishandturtlesNew MemberMember

But why the sudden increase in flow?

7. FishandturtlesNew MemberMember

I can see that the only real fix is me going home and seeing what's wrong myself. I'll be heading home in about a month.

Will by temporary solution be okay till then (closing the outflow slightly to decrease current), anyone?

8. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Possibly because the bag covering your intake was sooooooooooo clogged up that it was restricting the flow. Your parents jiggled all the goop off it and moved a clean area of bag over the intake. Voila, more flow.
    Restricting the output can work, if the cascade has a valve on the output, then it is probably designed to be reduced (I say probably because some say there will be and and some say there won't be head pressure). Do not restrict the intake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice