Filter diffuser help

oOBlueOo

My API filstar filter that I got yesterday seems to not come with a way to control the flow.

I was thinking of either stuffing both ends with sponges or fitting a valve on both intake and return tubes.

For the sponge idea, I bought some cheap aquarium sponges that I can cut up and do whatever I can with them.

My concern is that the flow rate won't be reduced enough, but this is plan A.

For the valves, I got the ones in the pic along with aquarium safe silicone. What I was planning to do is to cut the tubes and glue the ends into the valves with silicone, and use it to control flow.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1423689311.803438.jpg

My only concern is that the silicone would weaken after so long, so this is plan B.

tameone

1) Don't take my word as bond

2) Don't restrict the intake. If anything, put a valve on the exit hose only, but know this could put extra strain on the pump and shorten its life. When the pump pushes water out, gravity is used to bring in new water to replace it. The pump doesn't 'suck' anything into the canister, so limiting the intake is useless and if anything, could starve the pump of water which is bad.

3) If the canister came with a spray bar, you can open the holes with a drill to decrease the flow, or direct it against the tank to deflect its strength.

oOBlueOo

How many sponges can safely be stuffed in a return valve?

I'm not worried about the filter life being shortened. I have a warranty. And I have a backup if something happens.

It did not come with a spray bar. That was my plan C. I'm not really fond of spray bars, but the only experience I have with them is from my current filter and it had sharp edges and not enough holes.

But if I make my own, I'd probably use PVC pipe and drill the whole thing full of tiny holes. (And stuff it with sponges.)

jimcraig152

Instead of going the route of restriction at either the intake or the return, go with the idea of diffusion by increasing volume at the return. Two ways you can do this:

1. At the end of your return line, splice a PVC tee or 3-way elbow at the end of your line. The flow will be divided in half by the two outlets on the fitting.
2. At the end of your return line, splice a PVC fitting that bushes up to a larger diameter from your return line.

Or you can do both in one shot. Both ways will cost you less. The hard part is to get a barbed fitting that connects to the size of your return line tubing and is threaded on the other end to connect to the PVC fitting. But Home Depot sells both.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chevyguy8893
Replies
Views
CatfishJack
Replies
Views
TWiG87
Replies
Views