Filter Current Too Strong

bcsay720

Hi, everyone,

I have a filter for my tank (which I got in good condition off Facebook Marketplace, and it all came together as a set) seems to be a bit too strong for the fish in my 10 g tank. I'm still in the stocking process, so I got 4 tetras this past weekend, and the current is preventing them from swimming up to get their food. I'm adding a betta in December, and I know it'll be hard on his big fins, too. The current is already partially blocked by my biggest plant, but it's still pretty strong. Any other advice on how to further block the current? Buying a new filter is, financially, not an option. Thanks!

Donovan Jones

What kind of filter is it?

bcsay720

Aqueon QuietFlow 10, size small. It's "for up to 10 gallons." As far as I know, I can't change the speed like I know is possible on some other filters.

Donovan Jones

Try slowing the water in. Moss and an intake cover?
Then I'd try to save for a usb air pump and sponge filter.

BettasAreSuperior

bcsay720 said:
Aqueon QuietFlow 10, size small. It's "for up to 10 gallons." As far as I know, I can't change the speed like I know is possible on some other filters.
Is the intake or outtake strong? Or both?

RayClem

An Aqueon 10 is rated for 100 gph, which is not too strong for most fish, but may be too strong for a betta. As others have said, you can add a sponge prefilter to the intake tube. That prevents anything from getting sucked into the filter and will also reduce the flow through the filter. When the filter flow starts to drop, you will need to remove the prefilter sponge and squeeze it out in tank water removed during a water change. Try not to rinse it in tap water unless it has been dechlorinated as the sponge will contain beneficial bacteria that are part of your nitrogen cycle.

The other thing you can do is create a baffle from an empty water bottle and place it over the discharge from the filter. It is pretty simple to do. Here is one of many YouTube videos that will demonstrate how to do that.

BettasAreSuperior

You can put a prefilter sponge on the intake and here is a video showing multiple ways to lower filter flow. The video is only 5 minutes!

bcsay720

Thank you everyone!

Top Bottom