Filter current too strong for betta

fishy5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For awhile I've had my Betta in a 1 gallon tank and finally upgraded him to a 2.5 with a filter. However, the filter output creates a strong current that he has to swim against unless he goes to the bottom of the tank or the small space behind the filter. He's no longer able to enjoy his leaf hammock which he loves so much. Is there any way to jimmy rig the filter so the output doesn't create such a current? He has a house and a fake plant to get a break for the current but he never uses them. I miss seeing him happily resting on his leaf. I'm thinking about just shutting the filter off and only using it every other day to give my little bud a break.

If if it's any help, my filter is the one that came with the Aqueon 2.5 Betta bow.

Thanks!

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it adjustable? For mine, I am actually able to keep my filter on "high" by stuffing an extra cartridge in the cartridge holder so that it "sandwiches" the original one. Is this possible for you?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could also put on a sponge prefilter and that usually slows down the flow a bit. I use one on all of my filters for other reasons ( keeps the big stuff from going in to the main filter and keeps it cleaner )

Fluval sells one at amazon for the Fluval edge and it costs around $3.00 - $4.00 ( not sure if the stores carry them or not ) but this is what they look like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+fluval+edge+prefilter+sponge&espv=2&biw=1745&bih=868&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI97nAx66YxwIVFyaICh1t4QTD&dpr=1.1

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The aqueon's for some reason are too strong. One came with my old cube setup and I finally got too frustrated and ended up buying a Tom Mini Internal filter with a little spray arm. Super gentle yet keeps the tank clean.

Maybe one of the above suggestions will help. Is there a way to turn it down at all? I think for awhile I put filter floss on the outflow and that helped a lot. You could try that.

fishy5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@BornThisWayBettas it's not adjustable but I'll consider the two cartridge thing. I need to buy more cartridges I'm still on my first one :O
@ I'll check those out, thanks!
Until I install a solution I'm going to leave my filter off so my poor fishy can relax.

@CindiL I can't turn it down, but what's filter floss?

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just don't change your cartridges every month like the pet stores will tell you! You'll throw away your beneficial bacteria and therefore your cycle if you do!!! They only need to be swished around in a bucket of old tank water whenever they get really yucky.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Aqueons do not have a flow rate on them. I have 3 of the filters and they are good but that is a drawback for your situation. Try the prefilter sponge - it does help!

fishy5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here's what I think I'm going to do. Razzmatazz, my Betta, used to be on my nightstand and I knew him the best and I really miss him being there so unless he appears to be enjoying and utilizing his new space I'm going to move him back to his old tank and put my baby boy Betta in the 2.5 gallon instead, which will give him some growing room and also he's very active and likes to explore so that might be better for him anyways. I'll definitely need the prefilter sponges with the baby though.

Now im having second thoughts. Would it be better for my Betta to be in a slightly smaller tank but with lots of human interaction (which I heard they can get lethargic and sick without) or a slightly bigger tank with significantly less human interaction? I want to do what is best for him without losing our fish/human "relationship"

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd think they'd be more likely to get lethargic and sick in an unfiltered, unheated 1 gallon bowl, imo. My betta stays up in my room, which is upstairs, so I actually don't spend hours and hours every day with him. About an hour in the afternoon, and then when I sleep at night. I spend most of my time downstairs, though. And yet, he still seems to be thrilled to see me, most of the time lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom