Filter current too strong for angels?

CrabShack

Hey all, I got a tank up and running recently. After a successful fishless cycle I added 2 angels 3 SAEs and 6 SterbaI Corys to my new tank. However I think the current my filter produces is too strong for the angels. They generall hide in the foliage/hardscape where they don't have to work too hard. You can really tell when they aren't hiding they have to try way too hard to swim. I have a wet/dry built into the back of the tank. It's a NUVO minI 40.

So my 2 questions are:

How can I reduce the current in the tank? Is there a better way I can disperse the water so that it creates a more gentle current for the angels?

Also, is my filter pumping too much water? As said before it's a 40 gal tank. The pump is rated for 475 gph. I know NUVOs are a little bit more aimed toward Saltwater tanks. Could I afford to have less GPH in the tank?

Please help!

alink

For HOB filters, you want 8-10x the gallons in GPH. For a 40g, that would be 320-400 GPH. I have never used or even seen the filter you are using so I can't comment on that. Many people will use 2 smaller HOB filters so they aren't pumping too much, but combine to get enough for the tank.

CrabShack

For HOB filters, you want 8-10x the gallons in GPH. For a 40g, that would be 320-400 GPH. I have never used or even seen the filter you are using so I can't comment on that. Many people will use 2 smaller HOB filters so they aren't pumping too much, but combine to get enough for the tank.

It's a NUVO. They have a wet/dry filter built into the back. It's essentially a small built-in sump. I could post pics if that would help.

Jomolager

izionn, you are do right, Angels don't like strong currents. I hope you figure out how to handle it before they get really stressed out, which is not a hood thing.

I am not familiar with your tank, so I can't help you figure it out, but I bet you will. I am sure there is a way. With fish, there is always a way!

In one of my tanks, I simply turned the canister's outflow towards tank's wall. I could not do the same with AquaClear 70 HOB, so I placed several pots with very tall Water Wisteria plants right In Front, to break the stream, and in a third tank I put a tall ornament that breaks the current. None of my tanks will win aquascaping awards, but my fish like them.l

If Google is your friend, you will find lots of advice in Fishlore archives, I recall reading a while back threads discussing this very issue, and someone cutting a plastic water bottle in half from top to bottom and attaching it in such a way that it broke the current. I wish I could find it.

Good luck!

yasha

How about some filter floss/panty hose over where the water gets pulled in or comes out? I know that can slow water down. I know with a HOB u can use a water bottle to move the water flow to more along the back of the tank. Maybe some plants or rocks anything that will push the water coming out to a side/back of the tank should help some. I have no idea if any of this will work or can be done with what you have but it's a few ideas so you could try messing with it or thinking about them and coming up with something of your own.

I also think your GPH is fine if you can turn it down and the angels like it better that way its worth a try. I'm just one that likes to over filter I have a 540GPH on a 40gbreeder and its not the only filter so...

Jomolager

How about some filter floss/panty hose over where the water gets pulled in or comes out? I know that can slow water down. I know with a HOB u can use a water bottle to move the water flow to more along the back of the tank. Maybe some plants or rocks anything that will push the water coming out to a side/back of the tank should help some. I have no idea if any of this will work or can be done with what you have but it's a few ideas so you could try messing wyith it or thinking about them and coming up with something of your own.

I also think your GPH is fine if you can turn it down and the angels like it better that way its worth a try. I'm just one that likes to over filter I have a 540GPH on a 40gbreeder and its not the only filter so...

Yes, extra sponges in canisters and extra pads, floss, even purigen in HOB outputs slow down the flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies