filter cleaning!

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im cycling my tank with fish its been 2 weeks now, just need to know if i can clean my filter sponge during the cycle?

any advice will helpful

Thanks
dee

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There shouldn't be a need to clean the filter this early on. What kind of fish,how many, and how much are you feeding them. The only reason I would clean it is if it plugs up enough that water back fills in the tank. And if this happens you have other issues. Once your tank has cycled I would let it run for a few more weeks and then clean the filter if needed. When it is time to clean the filter drain some water from your tank and swish the filter media around in the used tank water. This way you will not kill the bacteria that is in the filter.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Deequadri,

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others with their responses. You can access the Profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.
Thanks! Have a good evening.

Ken

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
flyin-lowe said:
There shouldn't be a need to clean the filter this early on. What kind of fish,how many, and how much are you feeding them. The only reason I would clean it is if it plugs up enough that water back fills in the tank. And if this happens you have other issues. Once your tank has cycled I would let it run for a few more weeks and then clean the filter if needed. When it is time to clean the filter drain some water from your tank and swish the filter media around in the used tank water. This way you will not kill the bacteria that is in the filter.
i know its not a good idea to clean the sponge at this stage, but the water is very smelly and its get dirty very quick !

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquarist48 said:
Hello Deequadri,

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others with their responses. You can access the Profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.
Thanks! Have a good evening.

Ken
i have just updated my profile.

thnx

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably overfeeding quite a bit. Cutting back on your feeding to once a day will clear things up, if that is in fact the cause of your troubles.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads