Question Filter cleaning?

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I have. Had my tank up and running for probably 3 months now and I was wondering how I can clean the filter? I’ve heard you can just swish it around in old tank water.. but I’m a little hesitant to mess with it as it is so new. Will this get rid of benificial bacteria? Or am I just overthinking it? XD
I have noticed some gunk buildup, so maybe it’s time to clean it..

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just squeeze or swish the gunk in old tank water and put it back in. The bacteria is stuck to the media not the gunk so your bacteria will be fine. The only time this will hurt your bacteria is when you replace the media.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You won’t be replacing any media for months?

With just one filter and everything else in the tank being new be careful. Dunk the filter cartridge / fabric/ sponge like a tea bag to get the gunk off ( poop off ). As bacteria live on all hard surfaces in time you can be a little more confident that some bacteria are on the glass ,gravel rocks and pink plastic castles. In time you can really ring out a sponge as hard as you like, but for now at just 3 months be a little cautious.

Best practice is to not clean the glass or gravel at the same time ( same week) as the filter.
But obviously we all clean lots more than one thing when a tank is truly established.

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl said:
Just squeeze or swish the gunk in old tank water and put it back in. The bacteria is stuck to the media not the gunk so your bacteria will be fine. The only time this will hurt your bacteria is when you replace the media.
Ok! Sounds good!
Flyfisha said:
You won’t be replacing any media for months?

With just one filter and everything else in the tank being new be careful. Dunk the filter cartridge / fabric/ sponge like a tea bag to get the gunk off ( poop off ). As bacteria live on all hard surfaces in time you can be a little more confident that some bacteria are on the glass ,gravel rocks and pink plastic castles. In time you can really ring out a sponge as hard as you like, but for now at just 3 months be a little cautious.

Best practice is to not clean the glass or gravel at the same time ( same week) as the filter.
But obviously we all clean lots more than one thing when a tank is truly established.
Ok! I have a big piece of driftwood in there and the sand I got said on the package that it “ allows benificial bacteria to flourish”. Ill try that teabag method :) The media is biomax rings but there in a sponge holding it there (it’s hard to explain haha) so I think I will only swish the sponge!

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh geez... I just saw a weird worm squirming in my tank! It wasn’t a detrirus worm, it looked short and fat with rings and a dark head... will this harm me or my fish!! :confused:

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GeroBetta said:
Oh geez... I just saw a weird worm squirming in my tank! It wasn’t a detrirus worm, it looked short and fat with rings and a dark head... will this harm me or my fish!! :confused:
I put it in a cup and it just like.. disappeared! I am really freaked out! It was chubby with rings and it was shiny (almost looked like a crustacean) and it had a dark head.. does anyone know what his is? I’ve done research am doing I cannnot find anything! I just really don’t want to get sick if it can transmit anything to humans (the fish are ok lol) can these things make humans sick?

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bobduhgeek said:
Always take a picture.
Sorry.. it was too tiny to take a picture and my phone is old so it would make it all fuzzy.

New Threads