Filter Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Eirelav_mcgoo, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

I have an aqueon quietflow 75, we use the premade filter pads you can purchase from petsmart. There are two filter pads in this system, I usually let them run for 4 to 6 weeks, cleaning regularly, then switch them out for a new pad. I stagger the replacements every 3 weeks.

Is this recommended?

2. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

It's better staggered than both at once but you are losing about half your bacteria colony during replacement.
    Have you added any biomedia to the filter?
    Have you noticed any mini cycles after replacement?

I rarely switch out my filter pad unless they still prohibit water passing through after cleaning it.

3. OP
    OP
    Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

I honestly have no idea what kind of biomedia to add. Not to mention I'm worried about water flow.

My problem is the potting soil base. I have catfish that love to argue over hiding spots and end up disturbing the potting soil. There's a 2-4" sand cap and some spots are almost potting soil because of these buggers. Anyways, the potting soil erupts into the water column then clogs up the filter pads.

I do have a sponge filter to assist with the bb colony.

4. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

You could add a pre filter sponge in the intake of your HOB. I replace that pretty frequently as it clogs up first.

I have ceramic rings in my quietflow filters.

Sponge filter definitely helps. You’re probably okay with what you’ve been doing then.

5. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

If you're reusing filter pads - that is prolly the reason for reduced flow. At a point, they become uncleanable. I throw them away ever filter cleaning I do - but I'm unfamiliar with the Aqueon 75. You really should lean on legit biomedia rather than a filter pad for bio-filtering. It simplifies things so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice