Filter cleaning- slime question

Lprit

Hello all,

I'm super new to the hobby and have only had my tank for a couple of Months. It is a 10 gallon tank and has looked to be cycled for a few weeks now. My question is regarding a slime looking substance that came out of my filter when I was cleaning it. It is a little hard to describe and I wish I had taken a picture of it... it was a little chunky with a whiteish filmy color and looked like it coagulated near where the water was coming out. To clean the filter I just swished it around in some old tank water to try and not hurt the cycle or anything. So here are some of my questions;
1. Is the slimly substance something I should be worried about or is that part of a bacteria build up that helps the bio filter?
2. Should I make sure to get it all out of the tank or should I leave it in the tank?
3. Are there any other things I should be thinking about that I am just not aware of because I am so new to this? haha

IzabelB

Lprit said:
Hello all,

I'm super new to the hobby and have only had my tank for a couple of Months. It is a 10 gallon tank and has looked to be cycled for a few weeks now. My question is regarding a slime looking substance that came out of my filter when I was cleaning it. It is a little hard to describe and I wish I had taken a picture of it... it was a little chunky with a whiteish filmy color and looked like it coagulated near where the water was coming out. To clean the filter I just swished it around in some old tank water to try and not hurt the cycle or anything. So here are some of my questions;
1. Is the slimly substance something I should be worried about or is that part of a bacteria build up that helps the bio filter?
2. Should I make sure to get it all out of the tank or should I leave it in the tank?
3. Are there any other things I should be thinking about that I am just not aware of because I am so new to this? haha
It’s hard to tell without a pic but the only thing I can think of is bio film. It shows up when there isn’t enough water movement on the surface, it could have formed and then got sucked into your filter and kept building up. It’s not harmful and most types of snails will eat it.
It doesn’t harm anything but just because it’s gross slime most people get an air stone or more powerful filter to avoid it.

Top Bottom