Filter Changes

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by jruko, Aug 2, 2015.

1. jrukoNew MemberMember

I have a 100 gallon tank, I know Im not supposed to change the filters because they contain good bacteria and it could cause the tank to re - cycle. but they are getting bad and gritty its been about 3 months with these filters. how do i safely change them without re cycling the tank?

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Filter cartridges? What kind of filter is it?

3. jrukoNew MemberMember

i am running a uv canister, and two aqueon 75's

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

If you change the cartridges in the HOB's, then rinse the canister media in another week or two, you shouldn't have any problems. Stick to that schedule of the HOB's one week, then the canister another time and you should be fine.

5. jrukoNew MemberMember

so i should rinse out the new filters in tap water before i put them in? (because they have charcoal inside)

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I think it's fine to do that with new cartridges. You can also rinse them in tank water when you do your water changes. That way you clean them out a bit.

7. jrukoNew MemberMember

i changed one filter. ill do the other next weekend. just to be safe

8. ShortfuuzzeValued MemberMember

I run two filters also and alternate changing/cleaning media as to not lose too much BB at once

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. dirtmidget33New MemberMember

use tank water to rinse them out otherwise you will kill any bacteria in sponge with tap water. take 1 to 2 gallons of water out of tank swish filter around to get crude out. then rinse in another 1 gallon of tank water. you could also take a bucket of tap water and use dechloranater to make a batch of filter cleaning water. Get into a routine one filter one week the next filter the following week. Depending on your waste load might be able to do 2 week intervals.