Filter change

1. s

str8shooter Valued Member Member

I have a tetra HOB filter and the premade cartridge is falling apart and clogged so im changing it. My first question is what can I do to help my tank cope with the loss of the BB and not have a mini cycle. My other question is will it help if I keep the old cartridge with all the BB in the tank. Thanks

2. V

VWTDI02 Well Known Member Member

See if you can fit the cycled cartridge in there with a new cartridge. After some time it should colonize the newer cartridge and you should be good to remove the old one that is falling apart.

3. OP
    OP
    s

I tried and it clogs and the water backs up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    s

will the c
    Cyc

Will the cycled cartridge help if I left it in the tank by the filter. I placed it by where the filter empty s back into the tank. And thanks for the quick response:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. V

VWTDI02 Well Known Member Member

As long as there is water flowing through it then it will help.

6. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

You could also try leaving the old filter in situ, and placing a new pad in the tank for about a month ( keeping it out of sight ).
    You can then simply swap them out.
    If the old filter pad is reducing the flow, simply rinse it out in tank water you would discard on a water change.

7. tmills

tmills New Member Member

Try placing some filter media under where the cartridge slides in and then put the BB one back in as far as it will go won't look good but shouldn't take too long, just an idea.