filter change 10 Gallon Tank

1. Nanci Pattenden Member Member

Hi:

I have a 10 gal and the filter is green on the top. I know you need the bacteria in the filter and aren't supposed to wash or just plunk in a new one. Is this green harmful? Could I get a new filter and just drop it in the tank for awhile, then change out the old one?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Is it just on the outside? it sounds like an algae build up next time you do your tank maintenance just clean it off

3. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like algae or waste. Just rinse it in dirty tank water. I've had the same filter media for 4-5 years.

4. Nanci Pattenden Member Member

Thanks. It does seem to just be on the top. Will give it a good swish next change. Will also take the entire thing out and get rid of the eggs that seem to be in it. :) Those danios are laying constantly.

5. sliderdkp Member Member

Wow! I was thinking of changing my filter media, but if you have had the same for 4 years, do I need to?

6. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Depends, I use very sturdy mesh bags and filter floss as well as sponges and the cylindrical bio pieces. I would only replace something if it was damaged or disintegrating... But that's just me. I have many friends that do the same.

If you use carbon or similar products, that does need cut out, thrown out, or changed.