Filter change ammonia reading?

1. MariB

MariB New Member Member

So my tank is doing good but all at one I got ammonia. I did a 15% water change and it was fine for 3 days. Could my filter need changed? Could that even be a cause for getting an ammonia reading?

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

In looking at your profile, your cycle is very new so its not uncommon to continue to have bumps in your cycle. How much ammonia are you reading? AmQuel Plus is similar to Prime in that it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites so I wouldn't worry about that.

In answer to your question, the accumulation and break down of fish waste will not only cause your nitrates to rise but if there is a lot of it and no plants to consume it, you can definitely see ammonia readings.

What is your water change schedule like? Do you vacuum the substrate? How often are you rinsing your filters in old tank water or dechlorinated tap? Also, make sure to rinse your filter media on separate days. This will allow the beneficial bacteria to multiply back on one. You don't rinse much off as the BB are microscopic and adhere to your sponge/padding etc but in a new cycle you need all that you have. I never rinse both my filters on the same day, I wait at least 24-48 hours before doing the next one.

3. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

I get a .15 not as dark as a .25 but it worries me. I don't want any of my fish to suffer. I do vacuum and water changes weekly, sometimes twice a week if it looks like it needs it. I cleaned my filter last night but I cleaned it with tap water. I hope I didn't harm the BB to the point it throws me into another cycle.

4. CindiL

Did you dechlorinate the tap water you were using? If there is chlorine or chloramines in your tap water and you didn't dechlorinate then that would explain why you're seeing ammonia. Otherwise, it should be a small bump from the cleaning. Eventually that should quit happening.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. CindiL

At a ph of 7.0 your fish should be ok with that small amount of ammonia. I have a chart somewhere.....I'll see if I can find it.

You can dose the amquel + which should detoxify the ammonia.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

Yes I do treat my tap water before adding it to my tank. I actually get gallon jugs of tap water ready and keep it till I need it. I feel better knowing it's done so when I do need it, it isn't a huge project. I keep about 12, 1 gallon jugs ready to go. I have tested that water before using it just to make sure and it's ok.