Filter causing bad problems....

1. kennya Member Member

Hey all, long time no posting! LOL!!

Have a question... I have lost about 3 or 4 fish due to them getting sucked to the side of my fliter inlet. I have an Aqua Clear 110 and have it on the lowest setting, but they keep getting caught in it. How can I prevent this?

Thanks!!! Will post pics of the tank in a few days....!

2. taffy Initiate Member

have you thought about a pair of panty hose i,ve heard its pretty good.

3. kennya Member Member

no, no ideas at all. Thats what I need is ideas.

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Either the panty hose or it may be easier to use a pre filter. This is just a block of coarse sponge that slips over the filter pick up. You can either buy pre-cut ones or just buy a block of coarse sponge & cut a few yourself. Only costs a few $ & you can keep rinsing it out when it gets too dirty.

5. kennya Member Member

Never heard of that one Nutter, thanks! So since that will cut down the flow of the pump, will it hurt the pump? If I use this method will I need to turn the pump rate back up?

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Won't slow the filter rate down at all unless you let the sponge get really dirty. It's the same coarse stuff that is used in many filter designs. I've forgotten exactly how the filter sponges are rated but I know the higher the number the coarser it is. As in the larger the spaces between the fibres are. The stuff I'm talking about is rated at 80, that much I remember. Just have a look at your LFS & you should see the pre-filters in there somewhere. You should be able to turn the flow rate up though if you want as there won't be as strong a suction around the pick up area when the pre-filter is on there. It stops the fish being able to get too close to the pick up point itself so lessens the suction they encounter.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? Have you noticed any of the fish acting strange? I just ask because healthy fish should easily be able to avoid a filter intake. I suspect that there is something else going on and the fish are already weak by the time they get stuck to the filter.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had that problem with my shrimp tank. I cut a piece off of an AC sponge and slipped it over the intake tube. Problem solved.

I also had a problem with kuhli loaches getting into the intake tube and dying (getting stuck in the extensions), so I slipped the pantyhose over it. Problem solved.

9. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Here are a couple of pics of what I'm talking about. You can either buy them pre made or buy a block of the sponge material & cut your own. I agree with the others though that your fish should be able to avoid the suction of the pickup quite easily & that there may be an underlying problem with your fishes health.

Attached Files:

10. kennya Member Member

Thanks for the sponge idea. As far as I can tell, only one has gotten stuck on it that was not in good health. All my other fish are in great health. The ones that have gotten stuck have been new fish, for example 2 cardinal tetras, one the day after we brought them home and one the next day. They were tiny, barley an inch long. The other fish dont swim close to it, but when I introduce new ones, they get close. Will check the levels tonight just to be on the safe side.

11. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Even if all your readings come out ok it is possible the fish is still a bit sick due to the stress involved in being bagged & relocated. I find tetras especially prone to this problem. Either way though the sponge would stop them being sucked up against the pick up.

12. taffy Initiate Member

i, mentioned pantyhose as a temp solution to a temp problem and dosent cost anything if u, ve finished with them good luck, taffy.