Filter Cartridges

bsmorg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, I just set up my first fish tank and it has a telescope goldfish and a couple of snails. I’m currently using a tetra whisper internal power filter. I was wondering if I could use a sponge to put in the filter that way I don’t have to completely replace the filter cartridge for it every month like they say? Or if I should switch to a sponge filter completely? Thanks!

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should avoid throwing out the filter cartridge until it's literally falling apart. Often, this can be over a year. Don't use just any regular old sponge - they often contain anti-fungal agents that will harm your fish. You can certainly put filter media (which can include a sponge intended for filters) into the filter to eventually replace the cartridge, but I would not take chances with regular sponges.

Goldfish are notorious for being high-waste and you might want to eventually find yourself a more powerful filter than the whisper internal filters. I might be wrong, but I had the notion they are usually not that highly rated in terms of water turnover.

Good luck!

OP
B

bsmorg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the feedback. And yes sorry I was very vague but I wasn’t referring to just regular sponges. Meant the ones that are made for filters like you said. But yes I will eventually upgrade the filter and tank. Any recommendations for a more powerful filter?

New Threads