Filter Cartridge Change

Applescruff

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of waiting for my 20gallon tank to cycle. I am learning a lot and realize how important the good bacteria is that the filter cartridge collects. Now I am paranoid about putting in a new cartridge. Does changing a filter cartridge set back the cycling process?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Changing out the filter completely removes your cycle. "Cycle" just refers to the correct amount and type of beneficial bacteria in your filter to convert ammonia and nitrite. When you change your filter cartridge you remove your BB and you start all over again.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes it does. dont change it, keep it til its litterally falling apart. then whn you have to buy a new one, cut the old one up and add to filter to seed new cartrage. leave the cut up peices in tank for a month or so then once you test shows your close or all the way cycled then chuck old crtrage. but if your current cartrage isnt allowing flow threw your filter simply take out and wash in tank water after a water change and place back in filer. a cartrage should last you upwords of 6 months

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I mean it depends what kind of filter it is. If it’s an Aqueon filter, don’t touch it. If it’s a different filter, let me know. Either way, you shouldn’t need to replace even carbon in the time it takes to cycle.

Applescruff

Valued Member
Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
I mean it depends what kind of filter it is. If it’s an Aqueon filter, don’t touch it. If it’s a different filter, let me know. Either way, you shouldn’t need to replace even carbon in the time it takes to cycle.
It’s an aqueon filter . The flashing light got wants me to change the cartridge like every two weeks.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, no. Dont change the filter, period. Leave it for a month or two, then when you're doing your weekly water change empty a few gallons into a bucket, take the cartridge out, swish it around in the water, put it back in. If you replace the cartridge every week or two (or every time it flashes) youre killing your cycle and starting over from scratch, wasting money on cartridges you dont need and possibly making your fish sick/dead.

Applescruff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. When I do eventually put in a new cartridge someone suggested cutting the old cartridge into pieces and putting a few pieces in back of the new cartridge . Also they suggested putting some of the cut up pieces of the old cartridge under the gravel. Does this sound like good advice to you?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't put it under the gravel. I would put the old cartridge right next to the new cartridge, and put it like that for 4 weeks for the bacteria to seed into the new cartridge.

I would only change the cartridge when it's falling apart.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Putting it under the gravel wont do anything other than clog it up with waste. Put it in with the old filter. Or better yet, dont change it at all. Just rinse it in tank water when doing water changes. It will last 6 months like this. All you need the filter to do is catch some waste but MOST importantly, give you BB a good place to thrive and keep your water clean.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only reason that the filter says to change the cartridge every 2 week should is to get money for cartridge sales and other cycling things.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exactly. Its just a money grab. Eventually youll get sick of buying cartridges and upgrade to a media HOB or canister, which is more money. And while your fish are sick youll buy their meds. Its just a money grab.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom