Filter burned out?? help

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was finishing up a WC and went to go clean my filter , i unplug it everytime i do a WC to rinse the media out. I did my same normal routine as i would every week and i go to plug it back in and nothing. Just the tiniest little hum , but its not sucking in any water and the filter isn't filling up with water & no flow. I messed with it for 30mins getting irritated and probably made it worse..

Is there any way to fix this ? Or do i have to buy another filter ?? Its the basic Tetra Whisper Filter and i had it for about 3 years.

Im mainly worried about how long a 10gal with a single betta be unfiltered for ?

All the stores hours are out of wack from the Covid 19 and Amazon shipping is way behind.

Im worried how long my betta can comfortable live without a filter. Will 1 or 2 days without a filter be okay? , till i go buy one

Thanks

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should be OK for a few days, but I would do a water change everyday.
I personally do not own a Betta, but again I am going from what I know and heard

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think a betta should be fine. Without the flow tho, the temperature around the tank might be kinda wacky since the heat might not be evenly distributed.

mrsP

Reaction score
I know bettas can be kept in walstad style hevily planted tanks without other filteration, like MD fishtanks as example has. So if you have lots of live plants in tank, you can relax. If not, as tank is 10 gallon, it'll be ok for few days. I would to small wc every other day or so.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If the motor is humming it may just be a matter of removing the impeller, cleaning it and making sure it is seated correctly. Check to make sure nothing is wrapped around the shaft of the impeller. Mine occasionally gets some fiber, a length of hair and some plant matter wrapped around it. Once cleaned and put back in place be sure to refill the filter with water to kinda help it out. Even though my filters will prime themselves I still pour a constant stream of water in there until they are running smoothly.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you're hearing a noise, the impeller is clogged.

This happens almost every time with AquaClear filters. It's a different brand/model than yours, but it's the same concept. On the AquaClear filter, you just remove the motor (what the cord plugs into) by twisting and pulling down, remove the impeller with tweezers or carefully with your fingers, and rinse in tank water. Put back together, and it starts right up. It takes a whole 30 seconds. Lol.

I don't know how to do it with a Whisper, but I'm guessing it's the same concept.

The impeller is a small little thing, so the tiniest hair or plant matter stops it from re-starting after being unplugged.

And as for your betta, he'll be fine. They can breathe air so they don't require too much oxygen. You can put a bubble bar in there too. Put the filter media in the tank and leave it until you fix your filter or get a new one so your beneficial bacteria doesn't die. It shouldn't die off as long as it stays wet.

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mongo75 said:
What make/model filter it it? It may just need to have the impeller cleaned out...
Its the tetra whisper, basic canister that suctions to the glass. It does have a separate piece at the bottom, impeller im guessing, that pops off . That piece was sorta dirty but it didnt seen too clogged. I messed with the filter trying to unclog it . Its like once i took off the motor piece, it stopped working.

I can like hear the filter humming so faintily , and it seems like it doesnt have enough power anymore to start suction of water though .im not sure , do filters even burn up after 3 years or so

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
When you say canister, I'm guessing it's one of these. You can download the instructions on how to remove the cover and take the impeller out for cleaning.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I’d rip it apart and clean the impeller as stated above.
I’d also order a spare as a back up. I have a back up for everything.

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MasterPython said:
I recommend getting a sponge filter in the tank ASAP. If you get the other one working great but keep it running as backup. Make sure you upgrade it with an airstone or they are loud.
yeah i was planning on switching to a sponge anyway for my betta and i guess i have an actual excuse now to get one ! lol

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Its the tetra whisper, basic canister that suctions to the glass. It does have a separate piece at the bottom, impeller im guessing, that pops off . That piece was sorta dirty but it didnt seen too clogged. I messed with the filter trying to unclog it . Its like once i took off the motor piece, it stopped working.

I can like hear the filter humming so faintily , and it seems like it doesnt have enough power anymore to start suction of water though .im not sure , do filters even burn up after 3 years or so
It can burn out, sure. Everything mechanical does with wear and tear. The higher quality stuff should last longer than lower quality stuff, just like anything in life.

Tetra is a low quality brand for both food and equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is broken.

So if you go with a new filter, get an AquaClear if you get a HOB. If you get a sponge filter which are pretty good for bettas, get a nice air pump. It's also a good idea to keep spares on hand. So if you get a HOB filter, buy two. If you use a sponge filter, but two air pumps.

Lastly, you don't want to lose your cycle. So keep your filter media and either stuff it in the new HOB filter or use a rubber band to attach it to the sponge filter.

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Got it fixed , thanks everyone

New Threads