Filter Build Diy

BluefishEly

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As I am no longer able to tank every wall space in the house without reengineering a 100+ year old flooring system, I am forced to expand outdoors. Above ground 6x5x3. 2x6 construction screwed and glued. This is up against a garage wall on the back side. Garage is cinderblock construction so pond is to be anchored vertically as well as to the 4” footing. I have decided to swing this project DIY strictly to learn not so much on the cheap. Being an electrician I happened to just have a 1/3 hp sump which is being built into a skimmer bucket. Then plumbed into the garage through the framing to this....
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

Hardware store $20
Feed and Seed $30
Shopko $30

Questions? Comments? Advice? Wiping your coffee off your mobile device? And thanks in advance.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's quite a sight! For our pond we just installed an above ground pool sand filter. Not quite as DIY, although it did require a few modifications to stop the rosies from taking a swift ride up the intake, and now for aesthetics it needs to have some sort of water feature for the outflow. (The unit itself is meant to reside in the pumphouse, eventually.)

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks great. I've been tempted to do something similar a few times, but always ended up going off the shelf in the name of domestic harmony.

BluefishEly

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you. The drawers are nice for swapping and servicing the media. I too have yet to design/scape my water feature. Right now it’s an 1 1/2 pvc flex poking out the garage wall. Really attractive.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great build.

I made something similar to this for a large tank a few years ago. Very effective design.

BluefishEly

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Parrot. Hey where did you find that 15x15 cube? I like it a lot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom