20 Gallon Tank Filter broke, what do I do?

Hnaef

Reaction score
Thanks for your help in advance. My filter (Aquaclear 50 HOB) seems to be broken. Since I am under COVID lockdown, I can't go to the fish store, so I ordered a new one on Amazon, but it won't arrive till Thursday. The tank has some measurable ammonia (perhaps .25ppm according to the API test kit) and I added some extra prime to try to compensate. Meanwhile, I left the filter full of water, hanging on the tank, and I'm hoping the bacteria won't die.

What should I be doing?

The filter: the motor doesn't spin up at all. Cleaned the impeller and that didn't help, the whole thing looks dead. Any other repairs to try?

The tank: medium-planted, 5 forktail rainbows and too-many-to-count RCS. Usually pretty low bioload. Until now, I haven't seen any ammonia in it since I set it up. Any more precautions to try to keep everything alive?

Hope everyone is staying safe.

EMcT1985

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As long as your filter media is wet/underwater, that stuff will survive for at least a few days without doing anything special to it.

Do you have an airstone or extra filter (even if it is small for the tank)? Seems like water movement would be important (for the sake of oxygenating the water and keeping all areas of the tank somewhat the same temperature). I'm not sure about this, but if you have floating plants they might help with the oxygen issue.

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You need to add an airstone and do daily water changes. how much you have to change will depend on the levels of ammonia you detect each day before the water change. You should check each day before you change the water. Good luck!

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
can you remove the motor and and manually rotate the impeller? if yes plu it in, place your thimb over the shaft and see if the impeller spins, if doesn't manually turn it, will the impeller keep moving? if no then you need a replace motor, if yes to turns then unplug and remove the impeller, get some vaseline and place in the hole all around edges and shaft, replace the impeller and motor, set filter back up, it should work, but sometime like mine I have to jump start the filter, after your hob is set back up with water in the reservoir plug in filter, if the impeller doesn't move, get a pen or a long object, locate the impeller and manually turn the impeller, it should spin right up

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you clean impeller shaft and the space the impeller drops down into ?

If there is any sand or debris on rhebshadt or in the space there impeller drops down into, it might be jamming it up.

Also, is the wall outlet plug good you have the filter plugged into?

It's rare an Aquaclear filter motor to just stop producing a magnetic field.

Aquarium pumps and filter motors merely create a magnetic field, and the impeller with magnet rotates due to the opposing magnetic forces.

New Threads