Filter broke today

1. pumpknmom Member Member

My HOB filter broke today. It was a Top Fin filter for 10 gallon tanks, came with the kit. Is Top Fin the cheap brand? It's only been running about 3 months.

Luckily, I was able to buy a new filter before the pet store closed tonight. This time I went with the Tetra HOB filter. It's a lot like the other one, except it has an extra filter sponge. While I was setting it up, it said "not reccommended for aquariums with sand." Well, I have sand- could that be why the other one broke? Will I constantly be replacing filters if I keep getting this type, because of the sand?

I had an extra sponge wedged in the old filter, so I moved that one over, squeezed it in with the new filter. Another question, how long should I leave the old sponge there before I take it out? Is two weeks about right?

I tested my water tonight- ammonia 0, nitrate 10, Ph 7.6. So it looks like nothing is off from where it was. I had to do a water change because I messed up removing the old filter, and got lots of gunk in my tank. It looks much better now with the new filter going, and some new water.

2. David C Well Known Member Member

The problem with the sand is it can get jammed around the intake blade (can't remember what its called and im really tired). Several models have removeable ones and you can just rinse them our really good and the filter will be up and running again. As far as the sponge, i've heard two weeks is good especially since you havent switched out any of your substrate so I'm pretty sure you're on the right track.

Another idea to help with the sand, see if you can shorten your intake tube so it will be farther from the sand, this should limit how much it sucks up during operation and be sure to shut it off while vaccuming the tank.

Dave

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pumpkinmom. Good tips from David C. Leave your old sponge in the new filter at least 2 weeks as he mentioned and even longer would be great. If you don't have to move it back to the other tank then don't. I don't have sand in my tanks but I think a filter sponge placed over the intake tube (along with raising it as David said) would be a big help. Too, you can treat the intake sponge as filter media, rinsing it in siphoned tank water like you do filter media.
    Keep us posted!
    Ken

4. David C Well Known Member Member

I'm awake now and I remember what the part is called. :)

See if your filter has a removable impeller. The sand typically gets sucked up and jams in there and if you pop the impeller out, then use a turkey baster to rinse it out, the filter will be good as new.

I put sand in my niece's 10gal tank and use a penguin bio-wheel filter that has the removable impeller, not sure if yours has it.

Dave