filter and heater for divided 16g?

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A couple more questions about this tank, since it is 16 gallons. I've divided it in half for two Bettas to occupy, and now I'm looking for the proper heater and filter for it. Seems hard to find ones for this size. I already got a Whisper in-tank 20 gallon filter (in-tank is the best for Bettas, I know) for it, but it's so large. I wondered if anyone knows of any smaller but still decent filters for this tank size. Also, any ideas on heaters? Since I didn't know the dimensions, I got a marineland stealth heater for up to 30 gallons. I'm thinking this is too much for the 16 gallon tank, right?

NOTE: the Bettas are not yet in the tank; as of now, they're both still in their own, separate tanks until I move them.

2nd NOTE: mods, feel free to move this if you like.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Je55*s, I moved your thread into the betta forum.
The members should be able to recommend a filter that would suit the tank and bettas.

How many watts is the heater? I've got a 200 in a long and it's been fine.

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for moving it for me, Lucy. I am almost positive the heater is 100 watts. So, I guess that should be okay, then!
What about filters? Would the 20g in-tank Whisper filter be too strong for them in a 16g?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can always diffuse the output using a sponge like I do. Sponge and rubber band to attach should sort it out if you think the output is too fast!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Je55e
Your heater should be fine, as they are thermostatically controlled, meaning the higher the wattage, the quicker it will heat, but won't go past the set temperature. So I wouldn't panic there.

Regarding a filter, I use an Eheim Classic 2213 (canister) on a 16G, they use a spray bar to return water, and if the rate is too high, the holes can be drilled bigger to reduce the flow. You could also use something like a Fluval 105 quite successfully.

The general minimum recommendation on filters is to have one that turns over your water at least 4 times an hour, meaning 16 * 4 = 64G/hr minimum. (aka GPH)

If your setup allows, you could also use a Hang on Back (HOB) filter suitably rated.

HTH

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom