Filter advice for a new 100 Gallon Tank

1. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Hello All,

I bought this 100 Gallon tank (25.5H x 20W x 48L) it was custom made with sump filter holes on the top and came with a fluval 405. However, I couldnt get the fluval 405 to work (not sure why, tried nearly for an hour or two). I took my filter from a 56 Gallon tank (AquaTop CF-400UV Cannister stated 370GPH) and put in the 100 Gallon. I know this isnt enough filtration, but I was thinking of getting another CF-400UV, would that work? I am not adding any more fish until late summer.

Transfered from 56 Gallon to 100 Gallon:

All plants,driftwood, and clay pots.

I will not be using the sump filtration device because of the possibility of leaking and if the power runs out then I'm screwed. During last summer we had rolling brown outs in my area.

2. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

How about the Fluval 406? I like it a lot and its for tanks up to 100 gallons. I would for sure use it in addition to your current filter but this is a suggestion. Did you buy the tank used? LFS? or individual? I was just curious.

3. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I bought it used and it came with everything.

I like the priming mechanism for CF-400 or I can get the CF-500 w/UV it has the same priming function as the 400 and it cost $129.99 with free Shipping and the Fluval 406 is $159.51. I'm trying to save money. Or is it okay to have two CF-400

4. Lupinus Member Member

Do you have any stocking plans or at least a general idea?

5. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

What I currently have in the 100 Gallon Tank

-20 Cardinals (current residents of 55 Gallon transferred)
    -6 Red Eyes (current residents of 55 Gallon transferred)
    -12 Khuli Loach (current residents of 55 Gallon transferred)
    -10 Otos (current residents of 55 Gallon transferred)
    -Red Cherry Shrimp (30+)

In the Future:

-5 Discus (will not get until November/December 2012)
    -2 GBR (will not get until August 2012)

The future fish is not set in stone, if my current stocking at moment is the maxed or near being overstock, then I will not get the future fish.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have 4 of the aquatops, and like them very much. I got mine on ebay, so they were a bit cheaper.

I run 2 canisters on all of my big tanks and just couldn't be happier with the results. You could add another 400 and be good for most applications. But if you were going with a larger bioload or with messy fish, I would get the CF500. If you can, I would get the 500. You can always reduce the flow if it's too much, but you still get the benefit of all that extra media. And while the 400 is a big filter, the 500 is just huge.

A properly set up sump shouldn't be a risk of leaking - there are quite some measurements and calculations that need to be done, so it's not a simple plug and play setup like a canister.

7. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Jaysee...

I will keep my CF400 and purchase CF500 and operate both of them at the same time.

I am just going to seal the sump holes with Aquarium sealant until I do more research on it and feel more comfortable. This is my "forever" tank from now on. I can not get a bigger tank even though I would love too, I am not allowed to go bigger anymore. What can you say about significant others who do not share your passion for fish keeping.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Say thank you for providing a limit to the insanity, because without them the house would be nothing but fish tanks ;)