Filstar Canister Disconnect Question

LHARTWICK

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Filstar XPL Canister filter. Whenever I disconnect the filter to clean it, water gushes out everywhere - a lot of water. I lift up the disconnect valve and when I pull the assembly out of the filter, water spews out. What am I doing wrong? It’s always a big mess to clean up.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is there a water main shutoff switch?
My canister has a little tab that you lift, and twist.

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just recently got the exact same filter and cleaned it for the first time a couple days ago. When I took the disconnect off it was like air was trapped in there and air and water sprayed out like it was under a lot of pressure. I was actually cleaning the unit because of an air issue. Lifting one of the hinges briefly fixed my air issue, so I wonder it lifting a hinge before disconnecting the unit would decompress it and prevent water from spraying out? That's what I'm going to try next time anyway. If you give it a try, let me know if it works!

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been using Filstar canisters for 10 years. After doing exactly what the OP was doing after a couple of cleaning I figured it out. You have to take the disconnect of slowly. You will hear the air seeping in after the air stops you can take the disconnect off and no water splash.

LHARTWICK

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hacksaw15: I’ll try this next time. Hope it works! It’s a lot of water to clean up for sure. I knew it must be an air pressure issue, but I wasn’t sure what to do about it. Other than that issue, I’ve been pleased with the filter. I’ve had it on the tank for about 3 years I think. Thank you!

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hacksaw15 said:
I have been using Filstar canisters for 10 years. After doing exactly what the OP was doing after a couple of cleaning I figured it out. You have to take the disconnect of slowly. You will hear the air seeping in after the air stops you can take the disconnect off and no water splash.
Thanks from me too! I will definitely give this a try when I next clean the filter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads