Film Over water?

1. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Okay so in my betta tank there is a very thin milky film at the surface of the water, it is very very thin but is thick enough to trap little air bubbles in it. The betta is still eating and acting normal but it has been a few days and the film has not gone away. What is the cause? How do I get rid of it? Will it hurt my little betta friend? Any knowledge is appreciated, thanks!

2. Katiec90 Member Member

Can you post a picture?

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of a filter are you running? Do you have any live plants, especially any that break the surface? What are your parameters, just in case there's a clue in the numbers?

4. ErinE Initiate Member

Is it a bubble nest?

5. Beretta Initiate Member

Sounds like build up film from the food. More surface movement should help break it up.

6. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Probably won't show up on the photo (it's that thin)

7. GoldieBubbles Member Member

The one that came with the tank it is a inside the tank filter with a little flow not to bother my betta (he HATES currents).

No live plants.

The Nitrates are either 40 or 80 (really hard to tell with the API master) and I am assuming that my Nitrites and ammonia are zero because it is cycled. (I know my Nitrates are high but life happened and I am behind on water changes but I am definitely doing one tomorrow).

8. GoldieBubbles Member Member

No it is a film covering the entire surface of the water the bubbles in it are trapped gas that can not escape because of the film.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Your nitrates are really high. You do need to check your ammonia and nitrites though, you can't assume anything when it comes to water quality! When you do your water changes tomorrow do at least 2, back to back, maybe an hour apart. Those nitrates need to come down and be sure to deeply vacuum the substrate when you do it. I'm surprised that nitrates could even get that high in a tank with only a Betta unless you have snails and some of them died.

10. Beretta Initiate Member

It is protein build up from the food. More surface agitation will help break it up and then your filter will take care of it.

11. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Overfeeding is really easy with Bettas. They can be oblivious sometimes and the pellets will just speed past them and right into gravel to rot.

12. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Thanks everyone I will do the water changes tomorrow and check my ammonia and Nitrites.

13. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Update after the recommend 2 water changes my nitrates are back in check at 20.