Film Developing In Ammonia Test Tube Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Sable Everett, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Sable EverettValued MemberMember

Hi all,

I've been having some trouble in one of my tanks. It's a five gallon bowfront. It has a sponge filter and Seachem Fluorite Black Sand (plus a few live plants). It houses a single male betta, but he's on his last legs - he was hit by a severe case of fin rot, and I just started a round of KanaPlex today in hopes of seeing a miraculous recovery - but my main question is about my API Master Test Kit.

I left my tests overnight and this morning I noticed in my ammonia test tube there's a little filmy precipitate in the bottom. I shook the bottle and it disintegrated, but perhaps the weirdest thing is that now the color in the test tube is almost rose gold.

Anybody know what's going on?

2. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Yeah, some of the reagent coated the glass. Wash it out and twist a paper towel in there and spin it around and it should come out ... then wash the tube again.

EDIT: It's a pain so that's why it's best to wash the tubes immediately after you've completed the test and read the test results. Otherwise, reagent adheres to the glass and it solidifies there ... and you won't get it out without a paper towel or a bottle brush or something that can did down in there.

3. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

I just bought myself a box of extra test tubes on Amazon bc I drop them nonstop. If you can’t wash it out I strongly recommend splurging the $18 and getting a box of 24, it’s so much less stressful when you drop one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice