film, cloudy water with eco complete

Christina Lopez

Reaction score
I recently got a new tank and have never had live plants before so the tank (15 gallon) was purchased with 2 20lb bags of eco complete, Seachem Primer and a bottle of Colony. I placed the gravel in on Friday evening and the Primer in on Saturday. The water is not only cloudy but has some sort of film to it which I have never come across. My ph is currently 7.6 it has been since the start, the nitrate and nitrites are 0 and the ammonia level was hard to read between o and 0.25ppm. The temp is currently at 80. Is this normal for this to happen when using this substrate? I have 2 starter plants I would like to put in but do not want to kill the first go around if possible. I did not know if I should go ahead and add the Colony in or wait to see if this would clear up without having to buy a clarifying agent. Thank you for your time.

djr1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I used eco complete in one of my tanks as well. It does cause cloudiness. Mine last more than a day(it was a new tank as well. I never used Seachem prime and I do know to use proper amount.
And you do have your filter running as well?

MtnTiger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just my $0.02 but that seems like a little to much substrate for a 15 gal tank.

From what I've read on here sometimes a bag of Eco will cloud more than another but it always goes away after some time.

NicoFord

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
djr1 said:
Hi,
I used eco complete in one of my tanks as well. It does cause cloudiness. Mine last more than a day(it was a new tank as well. I never used Seachem prime and I do know to use proper amount.
And you do have your filter running as well?
I agree with to much substrate. I usually go with one pound per gallon and find I have more than enough for my plants and kribensis to dig

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom