film, cloudy water with eco complete

Christina Lopez

Reaction score
I recently got a new tank and have never had live plants before so the tank (15 gallon) was purchased with 2 20lb bags of eco complete, Seachem Primer and a bottle of Colony. I placed the gravel in on Friday evening and the Primer in on Saturday. The water is not only cloudy but has some sort of film to it which I have never come across. My ph is currently 7.6 it has been since the start, the nitrate and nitrites are 0 and the ammonia level was hard to read between o and 0.25ppm. The temp is currently at 80. Is this normal for this to happen when using this substrate? I have 2 starter plants I would like to put in but do not want to kill the first go around if possible. I did not know if I should go ahead and add the Colony in or wait to see if this would clear up without having to buy a clarifying agent. Thank you for your time.

djr1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I used eco complete in one of my tanks as well. It does cause cloudiness. Mine last more than a day(it was a new tank as well. I never used Seachem prime and I do know to use proper amount.
And you do have your filter running as well?

MtnTiger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just my $0.02 but that seems like a little to much substrate for a 15 gal tank.

From what I've read on here sometimes a bag of Eco will cloud more than another but it always goes away after some time.

NicoFord

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,
I used eco complete in one of my tanks as well. It does cause cloudiness. Mine last more than a day(it was a new tank as well. I never used Seachem prime and I do know to use proper amount.
And you do have your filter running as well?
I agree with to much substrate. I usually go with one pound per gallon and find I have more than enough for my plants and kribensis to dig

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom