Filling tank

1. benharmer87 Member Member

Im getting this 55g tank right now and basically asking when I fill up and add prime do I still wait 24 hours before putting the fish back in. What should I do?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Do you have a filter that's already cycled?

If so, then you should be able to put them in at that point. Actually, you could put them in after the filter is running.

If not, you should wait 24 hours and add a cycling agent, like Tetra Safe Start and make sure you have very hardy fish to help cycle. Or, instead of fish, use pure ammonia and monitor your nitrogen parameters to be sure the cycle is completed before the fish are added.

3. benharmer87 Member Member

I was told its cycled. I asked to keep the filter wet upon delivering to keep the bb alive

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Just keep an eye on your water parameters those first few weeks. If someone else has been keeping them wet/fed for you, there is no gauruntee the BB will be totally ready for fish. Do you have have a test kit?

5. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

How long has it been since the filter ran with fish?

6. benharmer87 Member Member

Yes I have a test kit. I just got this tank a few hours ago. I got it up and running. It was poorly maintenanced. The tank and substrate was extremely dirty. I'm gonna test out my parameters tomorrow. When they brought it it wasn't completely emptied. The fish and frogs were still in it with partial water. They did keep the filters in a bucket of the tank water upon request. I had to vac the gravel really good. My bucket looked like muddy water. It came with a cichlid but unknown type. It is all bright silver and about 4-5 inches. Would ou know how his type?

7. benharmer87 Member Member

About an hour or maybe two

8. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

It is probably fine however, I would use TSS to be on the safe side anyway, you can never be too safe when potentially cycling a tank with fish in.x

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Ouch.... moving a tank with water and fish can cause a lot of stress on the joints. Keep and eye out for any leaks in the first few days/weeks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. benharmer87 Member Member

Yeah that's what I figured. I thought they were going to empty it out completely as I was told :| wouldn't it stress on he fish also?

11. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If it was really sloshing and the nastiness from the substrate (you said it looked really unclean) clouded the water, it could definitely cause some harm. Depending on how long those fish were in the tank, they may have adapted to certain levels of uncleanliness though and could survive. I would fill it up, keep monitoring everything, and really siphon that gravel like crazy. I would also check the filter and make sure there are no major blocks or ancient detritus reducing the flow.

Sounds to me like you really rescued these guys so kudos to you.

12. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

I agree with Phishphin. You should be able to start it right back up. Hollie's recommendations of adding TSS wouldn't be a bad idea.

13. benharmer87 Member Member

I cleaned it real good last night. Im going to do it again later. Thanks cuz I feel real good about taking this tank off their hands. I feel bad for these guys.