filling a 15 gallon tank.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by tom5678, Apr 7, 2010.

1. tom5678

tom5678 Valued Member Member

hi,
    i was wondering what to fill my empty 15 gallon tank with...
    i was thinking about getting some angel fish but i dont know too much about them, like what size they grow to and what they eat.
    or a fish that looks really nice but is now suitable for a community tank.

does anyone have any ideas one what would be good?
    nothing like tetras, platies or guppies because i already have lots of them in my community tank. ;D

thanks for any help :)

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Hi! :;hi2

Although I don't have angels, I do know that they require a larger tank than a 15 gallon tank.

I don't believe you'll be able to have too large of a specimen fish, if that's your idea. We'll let more knowledgeable folks come and offer their opinions.

Perhaps some cories, or shrimp. You're ruling out some of the smaller fish. Is there anything other than angels that interests you?

3. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i am not too bothered about angels, it was just an idea.
    i would just like some really colourful fish =]

about the cories and shrimp, the shrimp that i have had in the past have just been eaten by my catfish so i have never really tried them with other fish. i do have some amano shrimp in a 5 gallon tank but they are only in with apple snails.
    cories look nice and they are only small so i could get a few. =]

any ideas on small and colourful fish?

4. LyndaB

I'm a big fan of cardinal tetras. and most of the tetra family. In my opinion, they are one of the best community fish and there are some very colorful tetras available.

Here's another fave, the rummynose tetra.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+901&pcatid=901

gold pristella tetra

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+2748&pcatid=2748

x-ray pristella

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+2747&pcatid=2747

A lot of the tetras are suitable for 20 gallon or more, but the three above are suitable for 10 gallon tanks, so would be fine for you.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i like them too, they look really good in big shoals though.
    how many do you think i could get in a 15 gallon tank?

6. LyndaB

I wouldn't recommend more than 8, if that's the only fish you'll have in there. If you're going to also add cories, then maybe 5 of the tetras. I'm not sure how many cories need to be together. I'm thinking 3 but might be wrong.

7. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

You could try celestial pearl danios, or also known as galaxy rasboras. They're quite small, but lovely little things. When I am able to reassess my stocking, I'm gonna try get me some of them!
    Or a neon blue dwarf gourami. Gets to about 3", keep just one though as they can be aggressive. You can add other species, but just one gourami.

I'm going through the same thing with my bf at the moment, who has pretty much stocked his tank, but he hasn't even bought it yet!

8. OP
    OP
    tom5678

the rasboras are nice
    i already have 4 corys in my fry tank, i think that they have to be in 3's too

would rams be ok in a 15 gallon? they get to about 7cm

9. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Corys like to be in groups of 5 or more but having them in a group of three is alright. I think rams are too large for a 15gallon.

Have you thought about barbs? Some are mean so you'd have to be careful of what else you add but some really nice ones that I like are....
    -Cherry Barbs
    -Snakeskin Barb (these are my favorite, I'm getting some for my tank)
    -Tigre barbs (really aggressive, so they do best in a species tank)

But if you end up liking barbs here's some others you could google to see if you like them.
    -Gold Barb
    -Rosy Barb
    -Odessa Barb (These are really pretty as well)

10. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i never thought of getting barbs. ill have to look at see.
    do you know anything about frogs for aquariums?

11. e_watson09

Frogs generally do best in a species only aquarium as if they can catch your fish and fit them in your mouth they will probably eat them. But you could probably get 3 or 4 dwarf african frogs and a snail or so to keep the sides clean and be fine. Make sure you get the dwarf kind or else you'll end up with a massive frog on your hands.

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

15gal doesn't offer enough space for any cichlid so forget them. A Dwarf Gourami with 4 Dwarf Corys would work well. So would a species tank of Cherry Barbs. Most other Barbs get too large for a 15gal & a tank that size doesn't offer enough space for such active swimmers.

If you want something completley different then why not look into some of the smaller Killifish species. A few Killis that would do ok in a 15gal species tank are Aphyosemoin Striatum, Aphyosemoin Geryi, Rivulus Xiphidus, Aplocheilichthys Katangae & Cubanichthys Cubensis. None of those get over 2" & would be quite suitable for a 15gal species tank. It's been a long time since I had any of those guys so they could have been reclassified to different families by now.

13. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i have never seen any killfish for sale.
    i have looked for a while.

Would i be able to put my 5 neons and 3 or 6 platies (if there is room) from my 50 gallon tank? Then i would be able to have only bigger fish in the 50 gallon.
    bigger fish being gouramis, swordtails and catfish. then i could get a bolivian ram for the 50 gallon.
    would that work?

what do the frogs eat?
    i am not allowed to keep any live food so i have shrimp pellets, catfish pellets and flake food. would they be ok eating that or do they need something else?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  14. e_watson09

shrimp pellets are fine you shouldn't move your little fish in the tank with them they do best in a species only tank and if they can catch your little neons guess who's for dinner? Yup your poor neons.

You could do 5 neons and 6 platys in the tank and that's it but I don't reccomend anything else if you go that route. Over crowded tanks just take a lot more effort to maintain.

15. OP
    OP
    tom5678

frogs dont seem like the best option then because i dont want to have anything that will eat my other fish. i think that i will put the 6 platys and the neons in there instead then get some nice big fish for my 50 gallon tank.
    would the 3 other platys be fine in the shrimp tank? they are not small shrimp... amano shrimp about 1".
    that would mean that the smallest fish in my 50 gallon are the swordtails.
    or is the shrimp tank too small, it is 5 gallons and has 5 amano shrimp in already?

16. e_watson09

3 platy in a 5 gal is a lot IMO but I would work just fine as long as you keep up with the water changes.

17. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

What I would do is keep 2 platys in the 5 gallon and the rest in the 15 since its easier to keep water quality in a larger tank.

Phil :)

18. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i also have 5 amano shrimp in the 5 gallon, it wouldnt only be the platys.... that would be a bit too much then would it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice