Figure 8 Puffer with cloudy eye

cnmichels

Hello,

I have 2 figure 8 puffers in a planted, filtered, and heated 20 gal with a 1.001 specific gravity (transitioning to brackish). The tank is established and cycled. The fish have been fighting off ich which has been treated with just raising the temp (85) and frequent water changes. The ich is clearing up steadily but one of the fish now has a cloudy eye that's getting worse.

There are 2 figure 8 puffers and 3 otocinclus (we aren't sure what to do with them just yet) and one amano shrimp.

Would melafix work? And should I dose directly into the tank or put the one fish into a hospital tank set up? The tank is fully planted so I don't want to treat it with anything that will kill the plants. Noticed the cloudy eye yesterday evening, only one fish has it currently.

What else is odd is there is a small amount of ammonia present but practically no nitrates or nitrites. The tank has been cycled and has had fish in it for at least a year. This issue is less pressing than the cloudy eye just something kinda strange.

Both figure 8's are very active and have an appetite. They are fed earthworms/bloodworms/feeder shrimp/snails every other day or so.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

ButtercuptheOranda

Any pictures? That would help

Upvote 0

cnmichels

Any pictures? That would help

Picture of the tank and the best photo I could get of the fish's eye.

Attachments

• IMG_7008.jpg
    IMG_7008.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7009.jpg
    IMG_7009.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

wishuponafish

I'd just move the otos and hurry up and add more salt (around .001 SG per 3 days up to around 1.004-1.005), it beats those bottled remedies any day of the week. Salt fights all sorts of fungal and bacterial infections (and ich), and provides a better environment for your puffer that will reduce stress, leading to a stronger immune system. Two birds with one stone.

Upvote 0

cnmichels

I'd just move the otos and hurry up and add more salt (around .001 SG per 3 days up to around 1.004-1.005), it beats those bottled remedies any day of the week. Salt fights all sorts of fungal and bacterial infections (and ich), and provides a better environment for your puffer that will reduce stress, leading to a stronger immune system. Two birds with one stone.

Okay! The tank was dosed with a small amount of Metafix, but I've heard many times that salt is the way to go. So, I'll probably keep up on water changed and upping the salinity! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kachibi
Replies
Views
Benjacob
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies