Figure 8 Puffer & Glass Surfing

cnmichels

Hello,

Move this thread if it's in the wrong spot! I'm new to the forum My bf and I have recently switched our 20 g planted tank to a home for 2 figure 8 puffers. Heavily planted and filtered but one puffer won't stop glass surfing. My partner has been the main caretaker of the tank and he says the other fish is completely uninterested in glass surfing.

The one (who we call Ulysses) is larger than the other fish (Six). They're fed with earthworms/blood worms and feeder snails. It's been 2 weeks since we got them but Ulysses has gotten way, way worse with surfing. There are almond leaves covering the glass but this fish will find any open space to surf. Even mildly spooking the fish to get him to move away and he goes to another place to start glass surfing. We did notice that the fish was obsessed with the filter bubbles when he first came home (?) but the glass surfing has 100% gotten worse over a few days.

We are planning on but haven't started the transition to a brackish tank. So, it's freshwater which is how they were sold to us. Currently, they also have ich which we are treating in their main tank by having the heat at 86 (which we read about doing but we are turning the temp down now to 84). It doesn't seem like he's itching, either. He never makes contact with the glass or any other of the decorations - only staring at the reflection and swimming.

The ich appeared like a week after getting the fish and it's kind of getting better? Any advice on that would be helpful too. So far the only thing that would be stressful to the fish is the ich and the temp (which is like that to fight the ich!!) The tank is very full of plants and places to hide/explore and they even seem to have their territories marked out.

Pictures of the tank are attached for reference!

Again, if this is not the right thread feel free to move but we need some advice fellow fish people! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6937.jpg
    IMG_6937.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19

Fishfriendof315

Dont worry about the glass surfing as long as its eating. Just wants attention. Gotta think its been in a store with multiple people to stare and touch the glass, but now its just you guys. I have one myself. It'll get better over time.

Upvote 0

cnmichels

Dont worry about the glass surfing as long as its eating. Just wants attention. Gotta think its been in a store with multiple people to stare and touch the glass, but now its just you guys. I have one myself. It'll get better over time.
The fish is still eating although the food has to be placed right in front of his face or else he misses it. But he's clearly the bigger of the 2 fish so who knows.

Thank you for the advice, we'll keep an eye on it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
Replies
Views
mlydeen
  • Question
Replies
Views