Figure 8 Puffer Fish Setup

hkirchen

I am almost done on my fishless cycle in a 29 gallon tank. It has black argonite substrate, 2 20 gallon aqueon filters, a submersible heater that is set to about 80 degrees, water salinity is 1.005. The water parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite .5, Nitrate 5.0, PH 7.6, KH 11.

I think I will be ready for the fish in about two weeks.

The fish I want: 2 Figure 8 puffers, and 5 bumblebee gobies. I have heard that a lot of people have had some success with these co-habitating, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Also, I have heard that two F8's would be ok in 29g, but I am also contemplating just having one because I do not want any aggression later. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience keeping 2 in this size tank to give me insight...

Any input will be welcome!

JRC3

I would only keep one f8. And get the oldest and biggest one you can find. My original was full grown and he always so docile. I then took on 3 juveniles from a member on another forum who bought them without knowin what it took to keep them. I kept them for a few months to see which one had the best personality and put that one in my adult F8 55 gallon and there was just too much compitition for food. My adult was always searching and things were just too hyper in that tank for my tastes. I finally removed my BBGs because they went in to hiding. 6 or 7 months later I removed the juvenile and my adult whent back to his calm demeanor.

Here are a few vids of my adult F8 and BBGs when they were in a 29g. IMO a 29 gallon just seems a bit cramped for two adults.

Mollies will also work. I have 5 female gold dust mollies in there now an the F8 seems to actually enjoy their company.

hkirchen

I love your setup! Are those real plants or plastic?

JRC3

All fake except maybe some java.

What are your plans for mixing brackish water and water changes?

hkirchen

I have been thinking about getting a power head an pre-mixing the water a day or so before changing....what method do you use?

My tank is now fully cycled and I am now looking into a snail breeding setup. I haven't gotten any fish yet, taking my time to make sure everything is perfect.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,528

JRC3

I would def recommend a background because you are gonna have some mad algae growth with all that sunlight. You may even find the need to put one of those old style roll-up blind behind those horizontal blinds to cut down the light. I do it on a window for TV glare.

For mixing I use a Rubbermaid "Big Brute" 32g trash can, a cheap Harbor Freight pond pump, and a heater. I just use old python hoses to add the water from my vessels directly to the tanks with the pond pump. You could probably use something smaller and less sturdy than a Big Brute 32 gallon. I would go for at least 20 gallon capacity and a lid.

Pond pump. These are often on sale for $12.
Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

Here's a vid of my mixing and snail growing. you don't need that much but just showing an example of the mixing vessels and such. The 5 gallon bucket has snails and I actually use 2 different buckets now.

Here are some pics of my snail breeding. In the yellow buckets the on the right is Freshwater and the left one is BW. For me snails grow best in brackish.

When I first started in the single 5g.

A cheap sponge filter and air pump will also work for snail filtration and a heater isn't necessary but it speeds things up to keep the water at 80.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LanternFish
Replies
Views
david1978
  • Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish