Figure 8 puffer cost per month

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by s2c2, Jul 17, 2015.

1. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it will cost per month to keep one or two figure 8 puffers in a 30 gallon tank (including costs of salt, food and anything else I'm forgetting)? From what I'm reading, it seems like this is a decently expensive fish to own. Just want to know what I might be getting into.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, these fish don't take pellets or flakes and you'd have to have an almost endless supply of snails...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i recentl purchased my figure 8 1 week ago. the cost of the puffer $3. the bloodworms i got were free. but cost would be $8.00-$11.00. the salt i used i got for a 10 gallon mix. since bracksih, it wont use much. i got it on sale at $4. usually anywhere from $8-$11. i got pond snails for free, and started to breed them. so i expect the cost to be under $30. not including the fish cost which varies. usually i seen them go as high at $22.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Again, another question for Gena. You're certainly getting popular today, girl! ;)

5. PuffPuff

unless u want to go fancy and feed it shrimp then thats a different cost in it self. Gena mentioned she asked for 1 shrimp from her market and they gave it to her for free, but she was looked at funny! lol but hey, all in the hobby of fish keeping

6. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you!

7. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

After you've gotten everything set up, I'd say:

Instant Ocean Sea Salt: use about $5-10 of a container a month to maintain 1.005ish (It takes a long time to get through a box of Instant Ocean if you only have a lightly brackish tank. I got the smallest box size like two months ago for about $14 from Petco and I'm no where near running out! Despite doing two water changes a week.
    Food(or in pufferish: noms): Probably the most expensive thing. Puffers need a varied diet so like $25? Depends on how fancy you'll go.
    And then like $5 of Prime a month. A medium bottle costs about $10 and lasts around 2 months.

8. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you, Gena!

9. PuffPuff

Gena now that u mention Prime. i have a bottle of that. but do i have to use it? and when? sorry for askinga question here...

10. Dom90

You only use Prime for water changes, it neutralizes the chlorine and chloramines in tap water.

11. PuffPuff

oh, so i can use that instead of a regular conditioner?

12. Dom90

What do you mean by regular conditioner?

13. PuffPuff

i use API tap water conditioner and stress coat when i do my water changes.

14. Dom90

We're going a bit off-topic but Prime is superior to all other water conditioners because it takes it one step further and detoxifies ammonia and nitrites also.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Please do not ask your own questions on someone else's thread, if you have questions about water conditioners please start your own thread.

16. PuffPuff

got cha! thanks there.
    s2c2 i hope Gena answered your question. she has helped me a lot

17. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

How are you burning through a bottle of prime in two months? I have over 20 tanks and don't go through it that quick.

18. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Probably the tiny bottle, or adding too much...

Prime lasts a long time. I have the 500ml bottle and I'm not even 1/4 of the way through it. Had it for 6 months.

Honestly once the initial setup is done, fish aren't all that expensive.

19. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Even the 250ml bottle treats 2500 gallons of water. I'd say few if any of us are changing out 1250 gallons of water per month.

20. Dom90

It might have been she was using Prime for other purposes than water conditioner during water changes. She could be using it as a means to protect her fish during cycling processes or if she had an ammonia/nitrite spike etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice