Figure 8 Puffer acting strange

• Thread starter fishyaddiction
  • Start date

fishyaddiction

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1460224090.508938.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1460224123.362270.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1460224140.877682.jpg

Hi!

So Elvis, my Figure 8 Puffer, seems to be acting strange. He is easily spooked, which is odd behavior for him. Also, he seems like he might be bloated. Any thoughts or ideas to get him to take a big poop, if that's the case? Just throwing this out there for feedback.

Dovah

Well Known
Is Elvis in brackish water?

qchris87

Well Known
What are your water parameters? Puffers are very sensitive to any trace of ammonia or nitrites.

If it is bloat, best thing to do is fast him for a couple days.

fishyaddiction

Dovah said:
Is Elvis in brackish water?
qchris87 said:
What are your water parameters? Puffers are very sensitive to any trace of ammonia or nitrites.

If it is bloat, best thing to do is fast him for a couple days.
He is in a saltwater reef tank. Water parameters are normal. He's housed with mated tomato clowns, one yellow tang, a red shrimp, a few huge Mexican snails. The salinity at the LFS is identical to mine. He's been fine for months. Now he just seems bloated and doesn't really eat.

QueenW

Figure 8s age supposed to be brackish and puffers are to be cautioned with coral. It may be too much salt for him. We have been doing our research so we can eventually set up a puffer tank and figure 8s are looking like our best option so we don't have to go full salt water. Green spotted start out brackish and as adults have to be acclimated to salt.

ladygodiva35

That actually doesn't look like a figure 8 puffer. That looks exactly like a green spotted puffer which is fine in full marine conditions. Here are some photos of the difference.

This here is one of my previous Figure 8 puffers.
image.jpg

This is my green spotted puff.
image.jpg

Megg01

Well Known
ladygodiva35 said:
That actually doesn't look like a figure 8 puffer. That looks exactly like a green spotted puffer which is fine in full marine conditions. Here are some photos of the difference.

This here is one of my previous Figure 8 puffers.
image.jpg

This is my green spotted puff.
image.jpg
I agree, it's not a figure 8.

Big Deal

I have a 5yr old gsp,saved from a freshwater tank at walmart. He has been in full salt for 4 yrs1.025. First what is the diet you are feeding it? Dried river shrimp and snails are needed weekly to maintain a proper beak. Mine enjoys live small fish and ghost shrimp too.recently converted mollies to salt to allow there babies to help feed my fish as well. Also puffers especially my gsp is not happy unless you play talk or atleasy around tank for good amount of time daily. Check water again ? You can try epsom salt which does help them poop and is vital for salt water. Just make sure it's a hundred percent magnesium sulfate. Another item I treat my tank every other day with is lugol's iodine what will increase the health and cover of everything in the tank it really helps with macroalgae and really helps them fight off disease since I started doing this I have had no fish loss

Also I do not use a protein skimmer I use algae to remove phos and nitrate

Top Bottom