figure 8 didnt even eat the snail

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by PuffPuff, Aug 1, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

is it too soon for my figure 8 puffer to eat at a pond snail. i threw one in his tank last night and he didnt even bother inspecting it. is he too small for this type of food? i got him 2 months ago. he is about 1 inch now. perhaps a bit less but hardly could tell. any idea on what to do?

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Try a smaller one or supplement with flakes.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Try squashing the snail. The puffer might not have realized the snail is food.

4. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Find a teeny tiny baby snail. Be sure to drop it right in front of his face so he knows it's there. It may take a few drops before he registers what it is.

When I feed Sammy I make sure to get her attention first. I make eye contact and tell her it's nom time. (Yes I do talk to my puffiekins, I want her to feel important and loved.) Then I dangle it above the water surface and make sure she tracks it with her eyes. When I'm sure she's watching it- I drop it right in front of her face. If she doesn't attack it, I get the snail from the bottom of the tank and try again. It's good to condition your puffer to know WHERE it gets fed. That's what the Shedd Aquarium does. Sammy has a feeding corner.

Also, crush a big snail with your fingers, pull out the meat and give it to him in several pieces of meat so that so he can better associate it with food.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

Good idea, I crushed it and he looked at it. I walked away for an hour and it was gone. So I'll have to try it again. See if he eats it while I'm present. Other then that he likes bloodworms. Going to get some krill and shrimp

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice