Fighting?

1. Craftsbytitch Initiate Member

I have never kept cold water fish before always tropical but I inherited an oranda in a very small bowl, I got a large tank and gave it a decent filter, air pump and decorating to swim round, the tank was too big for one fish so I have added two small black moors today, the oranda didn't seem to mind but the black moors have been nipping at the fins so in turn she now just chased them all over the tank, I have never had this problem with my tropical fish and wondering if it's the black moors way of letting the bigger fish know they are not scared of it, I'm worried the oranda is going to cause damage to one of the little ones, should I just moniter it and see how it goes or has anyone else come accross this problem, they have only been together for about 9 hours, thank you in advance

2. GoldieBubbles Member Member

What is the tank size because the minimum for 2 fancy goldfish is 40 gallons. It seems like a lot but keep in mind these fish can get 5-6 in long! Also what are you tank parameters?

3. Craftsbytitch Initiate Member

It's a 60 litre, not sure what that is in gallon, and these are the only three fish in there, the water is fine in terms of readings, 7.2ph, 0 ammonia 5 nitrates, made sure it was bang on before adding more, just read another post which said it turned out the issue was males and females been together, could be harmless territorial type stuff maybe?

4. clk89 Well Known Member Member

60 Liters about 15 gallons which is too small for fancy goldfish. Once they are rehomed there are other options for that tank size such as pea puffers, badis, killfish, ember tetras, and others.

edit: Also what your Nitrites?

5. Dave75g Fishlore VIP Member

60 liter is about 15 gallon

6. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Yikes, 60 liters is too small for any type of goldfish so I would recommend re homing them. The aggression you are seeing is probably because they don't have any space. Once the you find a home for the goldfish (or upgrade) you could ask some of the members on fishlore about what can go into your tank.

7. octavio Member Member

As for any aggression, gold fish are relatively peaceful, except when they are breeding. Then they go nuts. But the moors just need to become accustomed to the oranda and vice versa. Gold fish tend to be chummy and very competitive for food and attention. And yes, 60 liter tank is too small for three fancy gold fish. They'll survive, but they'll be much happier in 100 to 150 liter tank. They'll be very happy if they get to spend most of the time in the warm months hanging out in a pond. Good luck.