fighting (video)

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Maxy24, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Maxy24Valued MemberMember

My angelfish have been apparently fighting for a few months now. My tank is neglected while I am at college (my dad is in charge of it, I'm working on teaching him and I think it's finally sinking in since the fish are getting sick) so during that time the fighting goes away for the most part, I just don't think the fish are feeling good enough to scrap. But once I come home, after a few water changes they start going at it. There are three angels. I think two might be pairing off, I can't really tell. But they clearly target the third fish, not each other.

So my questions are, do you think the two are pairing, and do you think the third angel is going to be seriously injured/killed if they all stay together?

If I do have a pair and choose to keep them, are the other fish (the small guys) at risk?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

You can see the damage that has been done to his fins from the nipping, and I'm sure it's stressing him out, I would put him in his own tank or find him another home... poor fishy!

3. OP
    OP
    M

Maxy24Valued MemberMember

That's not from nipping, or at least I don't believe it is. All of the fish have fin rot (not just the angels) right now.

My uncle has a 40 gallon tank, I'll see how stocked he is and if he has room for him, but I ideally wanted to get rid of the fin rot first, I doubt anyone will take a sick fish. How big of a tank would he need if I were to keep him by himself?

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

3 is an interesting number - it often leads to a 2 on 1 situation, regardless if they are a m/f pair or not. From the video it's impossible to tell if they are pairing up, but it is clear that the 3rd is going to be under a lot of stress. Stress kills, one way or another. If they do pair off, the tank is sufficiently large for the other fish to steer clear of them so that shouldn't be a problem.

5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Ah, I see, from the neglect of the tank by your dad, got ya ;)

You'll need a 20gal to keep him by himself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice