Fighting or Breeding?

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if my convicts are fighting or pairing up. Yesterday I observed the male removing gravel from one of the flower pots and rearranging gravel around the flowerpot. I assumed that he was preparing the spawning area for the female. Today I took this video. Its just a small portion. The two fish stayed lip locked for around 7 minutes and the fight last at least 15 minutes. It occurred right after I fed them so I'm not sure if it was food aggression or if they are courting. The female has spawn multiple times but this is a new, unconfirmed male. Any thoughts on the video would be helpful. The fish have stopped fighting now and are just sitting peacefully next to each other in front of the flowerpot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ockNZ8VuHSk&feature=youtu.be

2. orbelina Member Member

I'm afraid I have no idea which it is but either way it looks quite violent :eek: really cool fishies though sorry I couldn't be anymore help :)

3. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

Lol.
    Whatever they're doing they're wearing each other out.
    That's a neat capture.
    Good job!

4. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

lol. When they finally stopped they went to opposite ends of the tank and where breathing very rapidly. They haven't been doing anything energetic since.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say that is preparation to breeding. Unless you see any serious damage to either fish I'd leave them together.

6. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Thanks Rogue! I was hoping you'd comment. They did some damage to each other's mouths but they are still eating. I haven't seen the male moving and rocks today like he was all day yesterday. Maybe he has the site all prepared already.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hahaha if you ever have a thread you want me to take a look at just send me a PM lol! I'm still figuring out how to use the new forum format lol.

Actually, usually the female will clean the site. Or both together. Have they been swimming around together a lot? Are they the only fish in the tank? Some minor mouth damage won't deter them for very long haha. They'll be back at it soon enough.

8. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

They usually swim together all the time or at least the tend to stay close by each other. There was another female in the tank but they teamed up and it killed right away. I had two females because I wasn't sure which one he would choose. But the male and the smaller, more colorful female paired up within hours of adding the male to the tank. Now they are alone in there.

9. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Aha. Well I would try getting some sort of cheap very fast fish to work as a dither fish. I used Zebra Danios for most of my cichlids but that's just because I always seemed to have an excess of Zebras lol.