Fighting male platys

KimberleyT01

Hi all! I am new to this app and I need some advice over some troubles with my platy fish. I have three male platys (I shouldn't have made it an odd number but at the time I didn't think it would cause issues, also they are three males as I didn't want to add females due to breeding and dealing with babies, I'm still new to fish keeping) and it was going great, no aggression between any of them, all swimming together it was going well until the past two weeks where the smallest platy (A) started becoming aggressive to my other new fish (B), I separated him from the tank for a couple days and then reintroduced him, but shortly after, B started being aggressive to my original fish (C), I tried to take him out of the tank but once I did A started picking on the original fish too, there doesn't seem to be any cuts or nips on the fish but pushing the fish into the filter or going underneath the fish and pushing him up to the top of the water kind of stresses me out so I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. I did some water tests and things seem to be fine and add in new ornaments so they don't get territorial and apart from that I've not changed anything else and so I can't think what else it could be apart from them being all males and the same species of fish. My pet store has a no return policy so any advice on how they can live together peacefully would be much appreciated.

Kaity

I don't know what size your tank is but if you add more platys the bullying will get spread out and be less stressful. Higher numbers limit aggression. Sometimes it makes sense to overstock for this reason. Also more hiding places. fish live in an "if I can't see you you don't exist world. Mid water floating plants might help.

Upvote 0

fallfever

How big is the tank and how is it decorated? Having more hiding places - caves, tall plants (fake or real) to break up sightlines and driftwood can all help. As was just written while typing this, spreading the aggression is another idea by adding more of them. They are ideally kept with one male to two females, but that's not always practical. And while platys are community fish they can be quite nippy with one another.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Exactly, adding more males to the tank may get the aggression down.

Upvote 0

KimberleyT01

Thank you so much for everyone's responses. My tank is a 25l and currently has a hiding ornament and driftwood with a real plant attached. Usually I like having two objects in there for them to hide in! That's what I've been told adding new fish, me and my dad are going today to the shop to ask advice and possibly pick up a new fish. do you think adding more male platys would be better or should I add different fish to mix it up for them?

Upvote 0

fallfever

Is that 25 litre? As in less than 7 U.S. gallons? Yeah, had to use the calculator. If so, your issue is space, not necessarily the aggression. Depending on the platy, they can overwhelm a tank that size quickly and there's just no room for them to feel comfortable. I'd ask Dad about a larger tank...doesn't have to be huge. My guess is that would allow for the fish more room to maneuver without nipping.

Upvote 0

Brp933

I had issues with 4 in my 50g. After adding more, things seemed to calm down. Just be sure you get only males. Even one female will bring on more aggression and stress from the males. If you do get females, add enough to keep all the males occupied. 1m-3f is usually a good ratio.

Upvote 0

Broggy

Hi all! I am new to this app and I need some advice over some troubles with my platy fish. I have three male platys (I shouldn't have made it an odd number but at the time I didn't think it would cause issues, also they are three males as I didn't want to add females due to breeding and dealing with babies, I'm still new to fish keeping) and it was going great, no aggression between any of them, all swimming together it was going well until the past two weeks where the smallest platy (A) started becoming aggressive to my other new fish (B), I separated him from the tank for a couple days and then reintroduced him, but shortly after, B started being aggressive to my original fish (C), I tried to take him out of the tank but once I did A started picking on the original fish too, there doesn't seem to be any cuts or nips on the fish but pushing the fish into the filter or going underneath the fish and pushing him up to the top of the water kind of stresses me out so I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. I did some water tests and things seem to be fine and add in new ornaments so they don't get territorial and apart from that I've not changed anything else and so I can't think what else it could be apart from them being all males and the same species of fish. My pet store has a no return policy so any advice on how they can live together peacefully would be much appreciated.
I wasn't aware that platys could be so aggressive. maybe you should try buying like 6 females, or get rid of 2 males then get 2-3 females, to create a healthy ratio.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • CoryMaster151
  • Platy
Replies
Views
CoryMaster151
29 Gallon Tank New jumping friends!
  • SpottedKit329
  • Platy
Replies
Views
SpottedKit329
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
  • mikedf13
  • Platy
Replies
Views
mikedf13
  • Sokamix
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Sokamix

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Platy Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom