Fighting lobster/crab

1. jpool10 Initiate Member

Dear all

Firstly hello - I'm new to the forum today and already I'm in need of some advise.

I have a biorb with normal cold water fish in that is fine and running perfectly.

Today I became the proud owner of a blue lobster and two red clawed crabs. The lobster is a very small, young one - plenty of time to grow. The bloke in the shop said it should be OK to have them all in the same tank - but having put them in the crabs are fighting between themselves.....but also picking on the lobster.

Is this normal?

Will they calm down after a couple of days?

Do I need to separate the lobster from the crabs?

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

With thanks
    Jo

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    If you could fill in your aquarium info (found under My Settings at the top left)
    It would help the members help you if they had more info about your set up.

Thanks!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore jo!!!

what size bio orb? both species dont play well if the tank isnt big enough...and both species will eat any fish they can catch and fit in their mouths....fiddler crabs are also ones that need more of a brackish type tank

4. jpool10 Initiate Member

Sorry I should have made myself clear - the biorb is housing normal gold fish/cold water fish. I bought a new oblong tank for the crab/lobster. In that tank is just the blue lobster and the crabs. I'll have to measure the tank - but it's not huge. Is it dangerous to leave them in there together? If so I'll have to re-home the crabs.

Many thanks!!

JO

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it could be dangerous...especially if there isnt enough room to get away from one another :( but they will also hunt down eachother to have dominance and a snack if one is weaker

good luck with them!

6. jpool10 Initiate Member

Hmmmm - thanks - not loving the idea that they'll fight. The guy in the store didn't tell me this. I've also found out the the crabs like to climb.......they dissapeared this morning totally - I'm assuming they ended up on the top of the filter box.....but didn't open the top to find out as was running late for work. will check this evening - I'm assuming they'll be OK?

Sorry for all the daft questions.

Jo

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jpool10 and Welcome to Fish Lore!
    Ken

8. jpool10 Initiate Member

Thanks Ken. Am hoping you guys can help me with my lobster and crabs. Wishing the guy in the store had told me the correct information about the crabs!!! I think they'll be going back at the weekend.

Is there anything I can put with the lobster that won't be eaten or harmed?

Jo

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jpool. I haven't kept either species that you've mentioned so I can't give you any first hand information. Fish stores don't always give us all of the information that we need. Many of us have been in the same position. I'm sure you'll get some more responses before long as people start waking up over here :)
    Here is a link to other threads on the same subject that you may find helpful:
    Shrimps and Crabs

Ken

10. jpool10 Initiate Member

Great thanks Ken. I think with the details I've found on google and what has been said on here that the crabs will either have to be re-homed or taken back to the store. I don't think they'll be very happy where I have them and I know the lobster wasn't happy. I should have checked first - but would have been nice for the guy in the store to have warned me or guided me slightly. Hey ho - you learn from your mistakes don't you.

You guys are really friendly on here and I thank you very much for your valued guidance

Jo

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to have you on board Jpool!
    Ken

12. jpool10 Initiate Member

Hi Ken

I found houses for the crabs (link attached). Has anyone ever tried them? Are they any good?

http://www.crabhomes.com/

With thanks
    Jo