Fighting guppies?

1. sunslinger Initiate Member

Hi guys,

When i first started my aquarium, there were only a few survivors - 1 guppy and 3 tetras out of 3 guppies and 4 tetras originally.

Then i introduced 3 more guppies bearing in mind that one of the new ones are actually bigger than the others... i just thought it grew bigger than the others. It seems that the lone guppy originally in the tank seems to be chasing all the new guppies. When one of the newer ones fought back, the lone ranger turned its attention to the bigger one. After some time, it seems that all guppies seem to be nipping the tail of the big one and chasing it all around the aquarium. Two days later, the big one died, which is sad but i really coud not get more info at that time.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to advise me more on this so that this never repeats again for me. Advice will be greatly appreciated!!

2. vin Well Known Member Member

Were you careful to outnumber your males with females? If you got more males than females that could be a problem. They could very well have been competing for the female's attention. The males like to impress and chase females which is why you outnumber the males. If the males outnumber the females they will constantly compete for her attention and this could lead to fighting. They may have stressed out the larger one you wrote of.

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

sounds like the large one was a female and the others were male... females are usually larger and with less beautiful flowing large tails... if it truly was 3 males to 1 female then she was on the highway to ... (feel like listening to AC\DC)

be careful to get at least 2 females per male... preferably 3

4. Kim Michelle Initiate Member

What if you don't want females at all? I only have a small tank and it would be inhumane to mix sexes as this leads to babies, who would then be eaten by the adults, as I have no other tank to separate them. Am I going to get problems with all males?

5. vin Well Known Member Member

Males may fight with each other....I'm not sure. It might be more inhumane not to mix them if it's going to stress them out. However, even though you have the increased chances of breeding, the babies do not have to get eaten.....What you do is put the pregnant female into a breed-n-show tank that sits right in your water. This clear acrylic tank has a grate on the bottom where the babies fall though after birth, but cannot be accessed by the adults. Once the female is finished giving birth, she is put back into the general population and the grate is removed giving the babies (fry) more room to swim. Then the 'fry' stay in that breeding tank until they are large enough to join the tank population (about 8-10 weeks later). Don't forget, you always have the option of giving, selling or trading the younglings to the local pet store, friends, etc. once they are large enough. So having mixed sexes isn't as bad as it seems.

Additionally, with some species it isn't always as easy to differentiate the sexes. :D

6. sunslinger Initiate Member

Thanks guys!

I'll definately keep that in mind - more ladies to one guy...
    I'll get more females the next time i drop by the pet store.

Thansk again!