fighting fish

stingray
The ones I like is the Simease fighting fish. They say you cannot keep males together. Can you keep females together? How do you sex them?

angelfish220
"simease fighting fish" tipical........ My bet is you walked into a walmart petco petsmart or some other pet chain. these fish are really called bettas and you are right you can't keep them together. you can learn a lot about bettas if you go to the 'specific fish' part and click on bettas.

lotsabubbles
Female Bettas

HI Betta fan ! Only ever, ever ONE male Betta per tank. The girls get along fine- you can tell if one is overly aggressive & move her to her own w/ some Platys & other Tetras. (my experience here)... I have 6 females in a 15 gallon. They are dull in color, but as they mature, their colors come out. I have red, lavender, yellow, dark blue & turquoise. A floating fake plant is good, and room to swim. I also, have a 90 gallon with assorted BP's & Tetras- 1 male Betta, and 3 females...He stakes out his territory and flares at them, but they seem to take it in stride. When they are sick of him, they roam the tank & pick other floating surface plants...hope this helps. Walmart = bad. Too much info...

COBettaCouple
Welcome to FishLore.

Female Bettas can be more territorial than males and I would recommend just 1 betta in a tank. The males have longer fins and the females have a little white spot on their underside, near the analfin.

Chief_waterchanger
A tank with multiple female bettas will eventually erupt in violence that will injure/kill one or more of the females. Betta splendens were called Siamese Fighting Fish a long time ago, that is why that name is still heard sometimes today.

Tazmiche
HI here in the UK in stores they are still refered to as Siamese Fighting Fish all the time, I have ofen been shown a blank look from an assistant when I have asked to purchase one of their betta's!!!

I kept my female in a tank alone, i'd love a tank full of them BUT from tales you hear on here it isn't worth risking the one day (inevitable) girl fight and the deaths it can cause.

These are truly fabulous interactive fish, I hope when you get one you enjoy it. Look at the 'Betta photo' section to get an idea of male and females. Michelle

Allie
It a perfect name for them...b/c you really can't keep males or females together. I tired the sorority betta tank...it only worked for 2 months and illness brought on aggression. My last female turned on her last tank mate b/c she was sick. She had a big tumor in her belly

Blub
Hi!

In the US they are known as 'Betta' most commonly now. In the UK it is always a 'Siamese fighting fish'. Never keep males together - and I wouldn't buy one from one of those Cups chain stores sell them in. Get yours from a proper aquatics shop who know what they're doing.;D

Keeping females together is kinda risky. I wouldn't do it if you are new to the hobby. Look at the Betta photos post to get an idea of males/females. Telling the difference is generally very, VERY easy!

angelfish220
Hi!

and I wouldn't buy one from one of those Cups chain stores sell them in. Get yours from a proper aquatics shop who know what they're doing.;D

But saving them from a plastic cup death is so rewarding! its great to see them start swimming around in a nice 10 GAL settup streaching their fins

Tazmiche
But saving them from a plastic cup death is so rewarding! its great to see them start swimming around in a nice 10 GAL settup streaching their fins

I agree,to see a betta regain full life is amazing, a real gift.

Blub
Hi!

I know. But for someone who is new to fishkeeping - they don't want to be treating a fish as soon s he gets home, do they?:-\ It's a great thing to do - but if you don't have much experience it can be pretty hard.

Wait - Taz. We don't have Betta cups in the UK, right?

gizgrady05
hI hope use can help I have had a siames fighter in my community tank now for 4 months now with no signs of aggression to my 4 male guppies or the 5 females but 4 days ago it has started to lose a lot of colour round its face and all the fins are starting to curl up and they look very hard and don't flow in the water and I have noticed 2 female gupes have had half of there fins on the side bit off I have removed the fighter from the 130lt main tank and put it in the 30lt tank I have set up for breeding the gupes can any one help me please

Meenu
welcome to fl. I see that you know about the nitrogen cycle - can you please list your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels if you know them?

sirdarksol
Welcome to Fishlore.
Looks like Meenu's got the most important things covered. Until we know the water parameters, it's really hard to know what is going on.

gizgrady05
ammonia 0.0 mg/l
nitrite0.0 mg/l
nitrate0 mg/l
ph 7.5
hope that helps

click
HI and welcome to Fishlore. I'm sorry your fish are not feeling well, hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of the problem together.

Your test readings are interesting. A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some reading of nitrates. If your tank is not cycled, you should have some reading of ammonia at least. A zero all over the table is not something to expect for a tank established last year. May I ask what type of water testers are you using (liquid based or strips?). Also, it would help if you tell us what kind of water conditioners you are using.

Lucy
HI Welcome to Fishlore!!
Since your readings seem ok (no toxic ammonia or nitrites), I would venture a guess that your betta was stressed by the other fish as well as getting aggressive with them.

Good move separating him. Bettas don't normally make good community fish. It might work for a little but in the end someone usually ends up hurt or killed.

Nice clean, warm water, extra stress coat, garlic guard and vita-chem along with his own tank should do wonders for him.

I would also recommend the same for your guppies (they should do well in the community tank)

Good luck!.

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!
I'm sorry for your sick boy

I agree with lucy.....keeping him warm and prestine water, will do wonders....you probably have all 0's in the tank as I'm assuming the 30L tank doesn't have fish to keep the tank cycled? as long as you have NO ammonia/nitrites, you are good....how old is your boy? I hope he perks up soon!

Meenu
I agree, it doesn't sound like toxins are the problem, so the next most-likely culprit is that bettas and guppies are not compatible, and most bettas are not good community fish. This set-up can cause stress for the fish.

Having 0 nitrates does not automatically mean that the tank is not cycled. Live plants process nitrates, so it is feasible to get these readings in a cycled tank. I see that you have a planted tank, so I think you are good to go.

gizgrady05
I am using a tablets at the moment but I am going to get a apI liquid test kit next week I have run my tests again and I have got a reading on the nitrates of 10 mg/l I must have not left it long enough I use tetra aqua safe for the tap water and tetra easy balance and nutrafin cycle for biological supplement when doing water changes and the filter only gets cleaned when it needs sorting out and when cleaning I clean in a bucket of the same water from my main tank and the gravel gets cleaned when I do water changes

Meenu
I don't think you should use the biological supplements. They don't let your tank cycle fully. You tank is better off cycling on its own, without supplements to keep the toxins down.

click
I agree, it doesn't sound like toxins are the problem, so the next most-likely culprit is that bettas and guppies are not compatible, and most bettas are not good community fish. This set-up can cause stress for the fish.

Having 0 nitrates does not automatically mean that the tank is not cycled. Live plants process nitrates, so it is feasible to get these readings in a cycled tank. I see that you have a planted tank, so I think you are good to go.

I agree, plants do process nitrates but I would not expect them to process all of the nitrates. I have a decently planted tank and I get some traces of it. It could be that the test used in this case is not sensitive enough to detect low traces of nitrates.

Have you ever got a 0 nitrate reading in a planted tank with an API test kit? That's an interesting fact, but it would still make me wonder if my cycle is fine or not...but that's just me, a control freak

Edit: I agree with the above poster, Nutrafin Cycle does not contain aquatic bacteria and is a product that has to be used all the time in order to keep water chemistry in balance. In the long run it's an expensive path that could be avoided by allowing aquatic bacteria to develop. Nutrafin Cycle doesn't allow the aquatic bacteria to grow. Sadly so many new fishkeepers are persuaded by sales clerk into this product. I was amongst them too but this forum steered me clear from this product.

The only product known to contain beneficial bacteria is Tetra Safestart.

gizgrady05
thanks evreyone I will stop using the biological stuff thanks for the advice I will keep use all posted on the outcome on my fighter and the guppies

Shawnie
I am using a tablets at the moment but I am going to get a apI liquid test kit next week I have run my tests again and I have got a reading on the nitrates of 10 mg/l I must have not left it long enough I use tetra aqua safe for the tap water and tetra easy balance and nutrafin cycle for biological supplement when doing water changes and the filter only gets cleaned when it needs sorting out and when cleaning I clean in a bucket of the same water from my main tank and the gravel gets cleaned when I do water changes

that could explain allot
the products cycle and easy balance, will give you a false cycled tank....they don't contain the proper bacteria ....so you may have some ammonia/nitrites without knowing it....id do daily water changes with one of these until you know FOR SURE what the exact tank readings are.....good luck with your lil man!

gizgrady05
I have woke up this morning and I have noticed that my pour ickal fighter has broke out in a fungal desieas so of to the pat shop to get the right medacation thank god child care is much easyer than this lol

Aquarist
Hello Gizgrady and Welcome to Fish Lore,
Great tips and suggestions above.
Best wishes for your tanks and fish. We love photos
Ken

gizgrady05
thanks for the good advice but I got the stuf for the fungause pout it in the tank bet my poor ikal fighter did not make it the fungause must have been right in its gills I have read on the internet that the fungause I very hard to get rid of when it is in you tank will I nead to do a majure clean to get rid of the desies

Andria9000
Ok I posted about my goldfish yesterday. I though one might have fin rot but then realized the other is nipping and chasing him! ): is what to I do! I don't wanna get rid of the one who is being chased because he lost part of his tail, I feel bad like no one will want him! Should I bring the other one back and if so could I put a different fish with the one I'm keeping? Would he get lonely?

29 gallon

BottomDweller
What type of goldfish?
Part of it could be that they're tank is too small.
How long have you had them?
Do you know what gender they are?
Should I bring the other one back and if so could I put a different fish with the one I'm keeping?
I don't recommend keeping any other fish with goldfish apart from other goldfish, dojo loaches and other pond fish.
Would he get lonely?
Yes, goldfish are social.

Andria9000
Idk the gender I'm not sure how to tell. It's only 2 ryukin in 29 gallons I thought the rule was 20 gal for one 10 for the next. They were in the same tank when I bought them and it was very overcrowded there... I have had them only a few days. They seem pretty happy aside from on occasionally following and nipping the other.

I am not sure if I should take back the nipper or not. I only have one other tank and it's a ten gallon w a single betta and I wouldn't put him in there even if the betta wasn't!

BottomDweller
I would say 29 gallons minimum for one, 40 gallons minimum for 2, 60 gallons minimum for 3 and so on with at least 20 gallons per fancy. But bigger with fewer fish is always better.

Is it actually nipping the other or head butting/nuzzling the vent?

How long has the tank been set up?

Andria9000
It's only a few weeks old, but I used some stuff from my other tank and fish food which started the cycle. I have no ammonia or nitrites right now and maybe 20 nitrate. I did a water change yesterday and have the temp at about 73.
I monitor closely and feed carefully and vacuum a lot.

He is coming up behind and nipping his tail fins. This one being chased came **** a nubby tail but I thought they would be happier than in that crowded store.

He's not doing it now, they are minding their own business after I fed them. Could that be it? Maybe they have been underfed?

BottomDweller
I would lower the temp to below 70f, a higher temperature will increase aggression.

Do you have plenty of hiding places and plants to break line of sight? In a 29 gallon there isn't much room for them to get away from each other if they want to.

Andria9000
Yes I just got a cave ornament in the mail I'm going to rinse it off and see if that helps. I feel so bad for the one being chased though. I will see about maybe getting a bigger tank if this will hold them off for a bit. But I don't want to put them in a brand spanking new tank... my filter is only for 50 gallons.

BottomDweller
If you move your current filter over to the new tank (along with the new one on the new tank) it will be instantly cycled so you don't need to worry about them being in a new tank.
Can we see a picture of your tank?

Andria9000

82a77ebf3b1a52b004b717805ad3c1cb.jpg

b8da067957dcb862a57a2fe88974c8e5.jpg
Here's a close up of my funky fin guy. He came with this nub tail and the black markings. Which I was nervous about but someone else stated it is too clean for fin rot and they thought it was just a clean cut nip. Not sure what to make of it.

BottomDweller
That's a beautiful tank! I wish I had aquascaping skills like yours.

I can't really see the nip on the tail

Andria9000
Thank you!! I just added the cave.
1bb1deab1a177635699de837453c2266.jpg

What about this pic, it looks rounded off and shorter than the other, it's weird.

devyn5
Had to come here to say you have a beautiful tank!! I'm not entirely familiar with goldfish, however I have 2 male severums I purchased together from the same tank they were about 2" when I brought them home the nipping started instantly! Eventually it stopped after a few weeks. It was almost as if he got bored of chasing him? You could just give it some more time hopefully it will settle down and not be as frequent because they are still getting used to their new environment. Now that you have the cave hopefully he will learn to use it to hide

Andria9000
Thanks so much!! I think you're right that they are just adjusting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
soltarianknight
Replies
Views
ANGEL_Z
Replies
Views
Beebop
Replies
Views