Fighter fish

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by aniketrocks777, Jul 17, 2015.

1. aniketrocks777

aniketrocks777 New Member Member

Can I breed my fighter fish in a pot

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a pot. Are you wanting to keep a fish in this pot, as in a pan from the stove? If this is what you are referring to, then no. I would say most definitely not. Please do some research on breeding bettas prior to making any plans to keep one in a cooking pot.

If you don't have the space and ability to care for the fry that could result from breeding bettas, then please don't put them into this situation.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

Dude not the cooking pot....glass vessel in the shape of the pot or bowl..mostly in which gold fishes are kept

5. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I didn't realize that you meant a Vase. But, I would still say no. There's not really a good way to heat that water. Bettas will do best in a 5 gallon or larger tank. They do better with heated and filtered water. The links that Aquaraist (Ken) provided can help you to decide if you wish to invest the care and time that would be required to breed Bettas.

I have kept several fish over the years and can definitely say that you shouldn't even keep a goldfish in a bowl. Sorry, but it was super bad advertising on the part of the bowl/tank manufacturers to think that anything other than flowers should be in a vase.

6. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

No you can not

7. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I hope you aren't breeding bettas for fun either. Breeding bettas is hard and expensive. It can cost up to $1000s
    And no you can't keep or breed bettas in a vase :|

:)

8. OP
    OP
    aniketrocks777

$1000...are u kidding me??????

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  9. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

They're right. If you want quality betta you are probably buying them from aquabid where the betta themselves can run around $50, not including shipping to wherever you are AND a transhipper fee (usually $100). Then you need the setups, minimum 5g per betta (that's 2, one for mom and one for dad) heated and filtered. You will need special food for the fry, and a large tank you can put all of the babies in after they hatch. After a few weeks (i think) you have to seperate boys from girls. Eventually each will need its own tank, heated, and filtered. I think betta can have somewhere from 200-700 babies. You will also have to invest in meds for the female betta after she breeds because she will be pretty battered.

10. thefishdude277

Yup, you nailed it
    And to add to that, pet store bettas are not a choice as breeders!
    Most pet store bettas are old, and aren't purebred. It's also risky breeding petstore bettas, since you don't know their traits
    For show-bettas, you know their history and traits, and are purebred most of the time

11. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

dude,comes to expenses later...first comes to your tank.
    no...you cant breed bettas in pot.
    first of all your female betta may get injured or may be killed in this small space if the male is not ready and if you somehow manage to get babys then you may end up with shortage of space for them.
    you need to become expert to breed your bettas. for now i recommend you just having fun to watch the making of foam structure made by male betta(if you have a male betta)

12. thefishdude277

Yes, with all the tanks, equipment, meds, food, plants, shipping fees, Indian almond leaves, and decoration

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, you can't.

14. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

No breeding in a pot, 10 gallon tank about half full is my minimum for breeding. It is true that you can spend large amounts of money trying to breed Bettas, but it is not necessary. It is not necessary to condition them in 5 gallon tanks, I kept mine in 1-2 gallon cubes, no aeration, no filter, 100% water change every other day, room temperature around 75-77. They only need space to breed, and they only need 80 degrees for breeding. Lower temperatures can extend their lives by years. While I did use live foods, I don't consider it necessary. I just have it available because I breed a lot of fish.

There are American breeders on Aquabid with some nice looking fish for about $10 apiece, and shipping isn't that expensive. All this talk of spending $1000 to breed Bettas makes me wonder about the 12 year old I knew who bred them for one of the local stores. Don't think he had that kind of money, but he bred some decent fish.

There is a tendency these days toward overkill on the space required for fish. Male Bettas should NOT be given a lot of swimming space. It is unhealthy for them, they are not bred for it. A hyperactive male Betta is stressed, not happy. The only time he should be swimming a lot is in pursuit of a female. I know that this will upset a lot of people here; but I have seen three different IBC breeder's rooms (two were IBC Betta Man of the Year for multiple years back in the 80s), and none of them conditioned fish in 5 gallon tanks. In fact, their males never saw a space bigger than 6"x6" for their entire lives unless being set up to breed.

A lot of the newer strains have inbreeding problems, this I have been told by someone in Chicago who specializes in them. Sterility, bad instincts, and heavens know what else. Doesn't mean they aren't gorgeous, or that you shouldn't try to breed them. It just means they take a little more effort, and yes, sometimes a lot more money. But I've got a thing for Reds and Steel Blues, in normal Delta tails. They're cheap, and usually pretty easy. And they sell readily.

15. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Could not agree more. If Americans saw how they not only keep fish, but keep them healthy in Asia, they would have a coronary. And they have been doing it this way for decades, if not centuries.

Fish keepers here have taken tank space for fish to an extreme it did not need to be taken to. And this seems to have happened within the last 10 years or so. How long has the internet been popular and available to the masses?

16. TypicalAqua

TypicalAqua New Member Member

Yes.
    Yes you can it's completely fine just make sure first he makes a nest for her so place her some where she can see him just not be with him.
    When he's made a nest let them be together but watch carefully because when it's done the mom it's the baby eggs so take her out and then the dad will take care of them.
    After the eggs hatched remove the male too.
    Make sure the vase is big enough to keep all the fry.
    And when they grow the males will fight with each other so you might want to sell them or give them to a friend but they will also want to breed with their sisters so be ready for that too!
    Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice