Field of green, fluval chi dry start thread!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jetajockey, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

So I'm doing a dry start on a Fluval Chi that has been sitting around. This is basically taking some emersed-capable plants and putting them in the tank with nothing but substrate and a small amount of water to keep the substrate moist.

I'm using a mix of floramax and 3m colorquartz black sand.

I started with a piece of slate, because I wanted a slight hill in the back but didn't have enough substrate to make a natural one.
    [​IMG]

Then I covered it with substrate and started adding plants
    [​IMG]

Initially all this tank had in it was baby tears that grow wild all over this part of the country, micranthemum umbrosum, not to be confused with HC (dwarf baby tears). My intention is to have this tank completely covered in baby tears.

This is what it looked like initially after planting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the tank, I put a small piece of plastic over top to keep the humidity up.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Pretty cool. I'm doing the same exact method but with a 3g and using HC instead.

3. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

11 days later
    [​IMG]

At this point I have started spritzing the plants periodically with a liquid solution of NPK+ micros and breathing into the tank to add some extra Co2.

About 4 days later I put a light on the tank. Previously I kept it under a 4ft shop light in the fish room.

This is just a $6 clip on desk light from walmart with a CFL bulb in it.
    [​IMG]

And this is current, about 1 month of growth in the tank. I did add a few extra stems in some of the bare spots, but most of the photo is actual growth. I also removed the plants from the front part of the tank and created a trench and shoved java moss in it. I like the look of emersed java moss and am hoping I can get the same effect here in time.
    [​IMG]

I didn't like that many of the stems were growing upward, and I'm afraid that when I fill the tank there won't be many roots to keep it anchored down, so I covered the plants with a thin layer of sand, I'm betting they will make their way back up through it.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to order a par20 CFL spotlight type bulb, as I think it would put out a tremendous amount of light on this shape of tank and would keep the baby tears creeping along the substrate. I don't have any immediate plans to order one, and they don't stock them locally though, so we'll see.

4. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

Here's some emersed java moss that I have going outside, love the way it looks.

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

I'll check it out, I'm going to do this with HC eventually but just went with what I had on hand. I don't see many dry start tanks on here so I figured I'd share.

6. AmazonPassion

I would of started with micranthemum umbrosum if it grew in my area naturally but I had to buy HC instead. Did your MU started emmerse or submerse?

Here is my thread but haven't updated pictures

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/130995-newest-nano-tank.html

7. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

It was completely submerged, but I haven't seen any dieoff. It seems like I find it most often in shallow water areas, some look like high-water pools but sometimes on banks of creeks just below the water at a regular water height.

8. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

Update, the dry start is over, here's a video that I put together.

[video=youtube;_61DYXPSU0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61DYXPSU0w[/video]

9. AmazonPassion

Looks great. Yours grew faster then mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice