So I'm doing a dry start on a Fluval Chi that has been sitting around. This is basically taking some emersed-capable plants and putting them in the tank with nothing but substrate and a small amount of water to keep the substrate moist. I'm using a mix of floramax and 3m colorquartz black sand. I started with a piece of slate, because I wanted a slight hill in the back but didn't have enough substrate to make a natural one. Then I covered it with substrate and started adding plants Initially all this tank had in it was baby tears that grow wild all over this part of the country, micranthemum umbrosum, not to be confused with HC (dwarf baby tears). My intention is to have this tank completely covered in baby tears. This is what it looked like initially after planting. This is the tank, I put a small piece of plastic over top to keep the humidity up.