Fiddler crabs?

1. kingguppy9000

kingguppy9000 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if a fiddler crab will eat small pest snails like Malaysian trumpet snails or those little black round ones?

2. Pikachu13131

Pikachu13131 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    No,if you want to get rid of snails dojo loaches get get rid of them.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +1,166
    I would recommend not getting a fish and/or invert to get rid of a snail pest problem but instead try other methods such as a snail trap. Some people put down a veggie such as cucumber, or squash in a cut open bottle, then next day take out the snails that attach themselves to the veggie. Then repeat, until snails are gone.

4. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't have much luck with traps, but I had luck with assassin snails. Now, I don't really mind the snails because they give my tanks a more natural look.

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +1,166
    Thing with assassin snails is they can breed in freshwater, so you may get a tank full of those snails too. Plus you can never have any other snail in your tank that you might want. I like snails though, and keep nerite. ;)

6. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I only keep one assassin snail at a time for that reason:D

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Assasins only lay a few eggs at a time, your tank won't get overrun with them. And even if it did, you could always sell them. Their reproduction cycle is slow (in snail standards) so I wouldn't even worry about that aspect of it.

8. OP
    OP
    kingguppy9000

kingguppy9000 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was curious about setting up fiddlers in another tank, so I'd just be throwing in the crushed up remains of said pest snail from another tank. Was just a thought, I would find much satisfaction in watching them go crazy.