Fiddler crabs?

1. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Does anyone know if a fiddler crab will eat small pest snails like Malaysian trumpet snails or those little black round ones?

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

No,if you want to get rid of snails dojo loaches get get rid of them.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would recommend not getting a fish and/or invert to get rid of a snail pest problem but instead try other methods such as a snail trap. Some people put down a veggie such as cucumber, or squash in a cut open bottle, then next day take out the snails that attach themselves to the veggie. Then repeat, until snails are gone.

4. Quibbles Member Member

I don't have much luck with traps, but I had luck with assassin snails. Now, I don't really mind the snails because they give my tanks a more natural look.

5. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Thing with assassin snails is they can breed in freshwater, so you may get a tank full of those snails too. Plus you can never have any other snail in your tank that you might want. I like snails though, and keep nerite. ;)

6. Quibbles Member Member

I only keep one assassin snail at a time for that reason:D

7. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Assasins only lay a few eggs at a time, your tank won't get overrun with them. And even if it did, you could always sell them. Their reproduction cycle is slow (in snail standards) so I wouldn't even worry about that aspect of it.

8. kingguppy9000 Member Member

I was curious about setting up fiddlers in another tank, so I'd just be throwing in the crushed up remains of said pest snail from another tank. Was just a thought, I would find much satisfaction in watching them go crazy.