Fiddler Crab setup advice 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by ddmiddle7, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    So I am setting a a nice little Crabitat in my ten gallon tank, and I have a few questions... I have a bag of sand left over from when I built my firepit. It is foundation sand, can I use that in with the fiddler crabs? I think it will be better than play sand or some other finer grain sand. I don't want their tunnels to cave in on them. What do you guys think?
    Also, I just have the standard hood that came with the 10gal setup, can I use that? I have taped up the hole that was popped out for the HOB filter so they can't escape, or do I have to get a screen top for it? I am going to do 3/4 land - 1/4 brackish water, with a filter/waterfall. I plan on using some acrylic sheeting cut to size and siliconed in the tank at an angle so the crabbies can have easy access to the water. Besides heating the water, do I need to heat the land side of the tank or will the lights from the standard hood suffice? I have done a lot of research on these guys, but these are a few things I couldn't find concrete answers to.

x again.

2. v369

v369Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    there are a coulpe possible problems i see with this:
    with the the plexi divider the water in the sand side will become stagnant and possibly anerobic,as sand will need to be kept very moist to wet for them to tunnel in it and fiddler crab tunnels generaly end in chambers below the water line.
    masons sand may not be as thourly rinsed as playsand and may contain contiminants such as salts or heavy metals like copper. but i have used it as a substrate for crayfisy with no problems. soaked it for 3 weeks changing the water once or twice a day
    on an up note if the water is heated and the tank is covered the whole enclouser should stay a resonable temp in a tank that small
    sorry so short typed this up on break at work.

3. OP
    OP
    ddmiddle7

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for the reply, I was wrong about the sand it is called leveling sand, it's the stuff you put under patio pavers to level them out. So I guess I will nix the divider idea, i was trying to figure out a way to set it up so the sand would slide into the water, because i dont want it to get into my filter. Any ideas? I am rinsing sand today again and would like to get started on it asap.

4. v369

v369Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    whisper used to make a divider set with a built in filter that was pretty good i had used one for a bombia orientalis(vietnamese firebelly toads) in a 10 gallon tank.im not sure if the still make it but it worked really well.if you can find one and decided to try it.it is made to be used with larger substrate though so you would have to use gravel for a portion of it from the filter intake to the sump area and sand in rest possibly.
    good luck
    i have kept fiddlers in this type of set up but always used gravel.gave them plenty of places to hide and they did well but most likly would have been happier if they could have tunneled.

5. v369

v369Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    oh other draw back is this setup divider is only 41/2'' in high not sure how deep you were planning on making substrate.

6. v369

v369Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  7. OP
    OP
    ddmiddle7

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for the help. I think I am just going to do the sand without the divider, so I can mix up the sand periodically. So what kind of plants can I use in the tank? I would like to have a few plants on the sand side because I know that they like to climb things. With it being brackish water I know I don't have many options, any ideas? I want something that will be easy to grow and maintain, but is also strong enough to withstand the crabs climbing up and down them.

8. v369

v369Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    i have used anubias,javafern and javamoss in the aquatic part. may be able to use mondo grass on the emergent side it is quite sturdy. spathe lilies may also work.possibly azolla(floating)
    keep in mind that your crabs may graze on any softer leaved plants use.
    some of the vals are also good in brackish as is riccia both are soft leaved though
    maby post a question in the planted tank section for more suggestions.

9. Dang

DangWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hey thanks for posting this I had the same question about the plants. I had a crabitat already set up, but I thought he would like sand much more, so I got home depot play sand. Rinsed it out several times in a bucket, let it sit for a day and night and then hooked the filter up. He seems to like it. Although I do not have any decor in there just sand with beach on the left and water on the right. Want to see my set up?
    I plan on putting a couple plants see how he likes it, and plants always add an amazing look to an aquarium in my opinion. Also want to get one of those little cave things for him.
    Oh and how many do you have in there? I think I want to snag a couple females for him. Waiting for wal mart to get them in stock, no one else by me carries them I don't think.

Do you have plants in by now? What kind did you get, how do you like it?